Tiny house

Just room to swing a cat, by the looks of it.
http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/sustainable-happiness/living-large-in-a-tiny-house
On 23/12/2012 10:40, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/sustainable-happiness/living-large-in-a-tiny-house
Thats a shed, not a house.

I have some sympathy with her. We are rather untidy, and I thought that by moving to a larger house the mess would be more under control. It isn't. A version of Parkinson's Law applies, and mess expands to fill the space available. We now have so much crud that it will be a major task to decrudify, and it's really rather daunting. If/when we move somewhere smaller, it will be a great opportunity to just get shot of the lot.
On 23/12/2012 11:36, GB wrote:

Oh, tell me about it...
I'm also aware that I'm becoming even worse of a hoarder as I get older and more eccentric; really I ought to do something about that while i still have the awareness that it's a failing.
My mother (80s) stills lives in the large house in which she brought up 4 kids, so after 55+ years you can only imagine the stuff she's accumulated. My mind boggles at the thought of having to sort out that lot one day, presumably in the not-too-distant future :(
David
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 12:44:17 +0000, Lobster wrote:

+ + + + + ++ +++++ +++++ + + + + + + +++

You'll still not get rid of a lot of crud though you can make a big dent in it when "downsizing". When we moved my late father from the family home to a smaller place nearer we got shut of a lot of stuff but I still had to make half a dozen trips to the dump with the car (Discovery) packed to the roof and the seats down...

Likewise. I have lot's of stuff that "might be useful" one day and occasionally an item will be and normally alter things from a major inconvience to not a problem. Knowing which "thing" will be that useful thing is the tricky part...

You have my sympathies, it won't be easy. If your parents are anything like mine you will find things from your very early days that you had forgotten about and even if you hadn't would have expected to have been chucked out decades ago. Discovered again now they will be impossible to part with. Stupid little things like your favourite bath toy from when you were three...
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Ditto. Last year, I moved from a one bedroom flat to a two bedroom house, which now seems fuller than the flat was.

That's easy. It's the thing that you threw away last week.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:20:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

Well, I'm still unfinished a major clear-out and tidy-up of the workshop/store and pleasingly, have discovered that 80% of the stuff was actually useful, as I supposedly kept it for. The other 20% has risen as smoke mostly, being fed a bit at a time into an oil drum incinerator.
On 23/12/2012 12:44, Lobster wrote:

You need to sort it:
1. Stuff with a definite *immediate* use 2. Stuff that might well be useful one day 3. Junk
Then throw away 2 and 3. 2 might go to the charity shop.
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:26:35 +0000

    Throw away 3, agonise over 2 - and keep it. Every time I've thrown out something that might cumminhandi and has lurked for years I've needed it within a dozen fortnights, and spent *hours* looking for it because I knew I had one/some.
--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun

When we moved my mother out of a 3 bed semi into a 1 bed flat, we threw away ~100 bin bags of stuff. Plus a lot of furniture.
Then we came home and threw away a lot of stuff from our house.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 65th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3178
Don't do business with Churchill Insurance - they're slime.
On 23/12/2012 14:12, Huge wrote:

When my mother down-sized the first thing she did was to hire a skip.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

on Sun, 23 Dec 2012 12:44:17 +0000:

I am like your mother. I've lived here 48 years and brought up five kids, now aged 42 to 52. I have no intention of moving so they will have to deal with it one day.
--
Nick Spalding

Dog Kennel you mean.
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message

where's the bog?
Mike
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:45:02 -0000, Muddymike wrote:

The text says it's has a earth closet but she has to find somewhere else to shower.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

The garden looks huge, she's just replaced most of her indoor space with outdoor space. Makes sense if you can arrange it, reducing the actual shelter to the minimum for sleeping and storage.
JGH
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 03:50:34 -0800, jgharston wrote:

It's not her garden.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Bob Eager wrote:

It's not her garden, but it's space she occupies as an adjunct to the physical structure she occupies. What she's got is vary different from the equally-sized Japanese rabbit hutches which are just the exact physical indoor space and nothing else.
JGH

Depends on the climate.
On 23/12/12 10:40, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/sustainable-happiness/living-large-in-a-tiny-house
There seems to be several exponents of this grass-roots movement in the US:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_house_movement
However it would seem even more appropriate to the UK, where many people struggle to get started with their first home.
If there was a planning dispensation for a primary-home, self-built and below a certain square-footage - that could be potential lifeline for a niche of people trying to get a first home of any kind.