Tiling with glass tiles on sheets

I have tiled before, but never with glass tiles on mesh sheets.

Are there any pros or cons I should be aware of?

Any tips?

I suppose there could be problems working around sockets? I can imaging it would be very awkward to just cut one individual tile on a sheet if I had to.

Steve................

Reply to
dog-man

From my recent experience tiling a cloakroom in mosaic:

If the backing is made of paper, as seems to be the norm these days, it will get wet as soon as it touches the adhesive. As the moisture soaks through it, the backing will begin to disintegrate. After just a few minutes the backing falls apart completely and you will be left with a collection of tiles that are loose, and no longer on a sheet.

So the order of the day is to position the tiles right first time.

Reply to
Bruce

They will be on a net like mesh, not paper.

Steve..........

Reply to
dog-man

Mine were on a paper mesh.

I aged about five years that day. :-(

Reply to
Bruce

I have just done a strip of them round the new bathroom. They got stuck with ordinary Bal White Star. The key is to get just the right thickness of adhesive, not too much or it comes through between every tile and leaves no room for grout. You use a lot more grout that you expect! But apart from that they are easy.

Mine had a plastic mesh, it didn't dissolve in Bal-WS.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Those sold for tiling in sheets are on mesh. Glass tiles sold purely for freehand mosaic use are on paper (they're intended to be easily soaked off before use), so that's probably what Bruce had. There's no reason you can't lay them like this in sheets, but you'll have to work quickly before the paper fails. Personally, from the ones I've used (as loose mosaic) I'd be wary of doing this: the paper was very flimsy and I'd be unsure of getting a good bond through it. Also they had quite a large grouting gap between them and looked better when closer set.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mine were ceramic (not glass) wall tiles from Homebase. I bought them to use on the wall (as a splashback to a very tiny corner basin) and floor of a small downstairs cloakroom. I gave up with them on the splashback, and used two large tiles instead, but they look great on the floor.

Reply to
Bruce