Tiling on vinyl tiles

I'm about to ceramic tile my hallway floor which is covered with 12" square vinyl tiles at the moment. These are well stuck to the concrete underneath with some sort of black adhesive. Can I tile directly on top of the old tiles or do I need to remove them. Another related question............. when you "comb" out the tile adhesive on floors or walls, anyone got any tips on how to keep the "ridges" even , where one "comb" overlaps the next one?

many thanks.... Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Norfolk

I would suggest lightly sanding the vinyl tiles first to give a key, and check the adhesive instructions.

I don't think it has to be *that* even, just even enough to squish down properly.

Owain

Reply to
Owain