Tiling over vinyl floor tiles

Just started to remove the nasty 1960s vinyl floor tiles and the layer of nasty 80s vinyl floor tiles which is on top of it.... I'm using a heat gun to soften up the glue a bit but its seriously hard going. 4 tiles in about 30 minutes.

Can I just sod it cover it all in a bit of PVA solution and slap my ceramic tiles over the top or am I asking for trouble?

CHeers! Dav

Reply to
daveskirrow

Don't do it. Remove the vinyl tiles with one of those big heavy duty floor scrapers they sell in e.g. Topps Tiles. Still bloody hard work though.

Reply to
OldBill

I was expecting but not looking forward the that answer.

Looks like I'm in for a few hours work on that buggers then. Thanks for the tip on the heavy duty floor scraper though, might save me a couple of hours.

Whats the problem with doing it? Does the tile cement not adhere to it properly or something?

Reply to
daveskirrow

....and does anyone know if I can lay hardboard or ply over the existing tiles and put my ceramic tiles on the wood.

Cheers again!

Reply to
daveskirrow