Vinyl tiles in bathroom: peeling off!

I've got some B&Q self-adhesive vinyl tiles in the bathroom. They looked good when they were first down, but now after 12 months, 75% of them are peeling off and warping.

  • Is it worth my while trying to repair the worst tiles by either replacing them (I have a few spare) or by super-glueing them down? Maybe they'll just peel off again in a few months...

  • Or I may decide to just rip the lot up. How do I "unglue" them cleanly so they come away easily? Hot water? The base under the tiles is a previous layer of vinyl flooring.

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

oh that's awkward, i think they might not be a good idea in rooms which get constantly wet as i had a similar probelm due to a leaking washer.

i found it difficult to restick them down, so i'd say you're probably better off laying a whole new vynyl floor in one piece, unless you can stop people dripping all over the bathroom that is :)

it worked for me but the floor underneath mine was that black suff, eternite or something i think it's called, no idea if it's a good idea in your case.

sammi

Reply to
sam ende

I think the problem has started because of the original vinyl flooring you've laid the new tiles on. The tiles would have been better stuck a thin sheet of plywood rather than something that will move about and stretch and shrink like another layer of vinyl.

You can try to warm the tiles up with a hot sponge or cloth and slowly peel them up. After you get them removed, replace the vinyl that was underneath with a sheet of thin, 5 or 6 mm, sheet of plywood and seal the surface of it with a mixture of 50% water and PVA glue. Just paint it on with a paint brush. Then lay your original tiles back down with a good vinyl floor adhesive that can be got from any good DIY store.

Reply to
BigWallop

I have had good results with an electric hot air paint stripper.

Heat the surface of the tile evenly and pull the corner of the tile. It should peel up.

Don't overheat the tile or it will melt/burn!

You *may* have success with a hairdryer on 'hot' but haven't tried it.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

I got the tiles up just using elbow grease -- most of the tiles round the bath, basin and WC had water penetration underneath. The rest came off after a bit of struggling.

But I now have a tacky glue surface on my bathroom floor. Despite leaving it for 24 hours and washing down with hot water my feet still stick to the floor as I walk in! How do I get the glue residue off of the base layer (an old vinyl floor layer)?

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

yuo could try solvents, such as white spirit on a rag but i don't know if it will work, it's just the first thing i would try.

sammi

Reply to
sam ende