HELP!! replacing vinyl tiles

I want to replace the vinyl tiles in my bathroom,(self adhesive type), because they are old, and some have chunks missing from them. I'm fairly handy at things around the house, but have never worked with these tiles before. Naturally I have a bunch of questions.

  1. Should I rip all of the old tiles up before putting down the new ones, or install the new ones over top of the old?
  2. Can this be done without replacing the subfloor underneath?
  3. If I don't need to remove the subfloor, should I sand the floor before installing the tiles?
  4. I'm going to replace the tiles with self adhesive tiles, should I put some kind of adhesive or primer on the floor before installing the tiles to make sure they bond well?
  5. Do any of you know of a good website, or FAQ about installing vinyl tiles? I appreciate any info. and tips you might have on this!

Thanks, Snyde

Reply to
Snydley

Get rid of the old tile. All of its defects will show in the new tile.

Depends on the condition of the subfloor. Some sanding, levelling, renailing may be needed to obtain a nice substrate. Bondo works well here.

Absolutely. Any cheap oil based primer or poly varnish works just fine.

Most of what you need to know is on the boxes the tiles are packaged in. Check out the DIY books at your box store and/or library for more info.

HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Thanks Joe! Those tips helped alot!! I take it from this I should remove the old tiles, smooth out the floor as best I can, and use an oil based primer before putting the new tiles down.

Reply to
Snydley