Tiling - before of after basins ?

I'm about to rip out and replace our bathroom. Is it best to tile all the walls, then fit the new basin / WC against the tiles and seal. or Fit the units first and then cut the tiles in around them ? Our tiler says the former (obviously easier for him !) Thanks

Reply to
Stephen Judge

Noooo, Tile first then fit the ceramics etc. Saves loads of time trying to cut and file obscure shapes.

Reply to
Pet

Agreed .

Just done my bathroom - *Much* easier and *Much* neater.

Reply to
Troy

On 22 Jul 2004, Stephen Judge wrote

I'd agree entirely with the tiler. Not only easier, but a much neater finish.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

aye, what's the group consensus on this as I'm about to fit a new bathroom and would like to know both best practice and what everyone actually does

I'm tending towards tiling after fitting the bathroom ..

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

Having spent today on my hands and knees sliding tiles up behind the basin and cistern (at least the plumber left a gap behind them), I can assure you this isn't the way to go. In an ideal world you'd fit the bath first, tile up to it and do the rest of the tiling, then fit the WC and basin, (and a bidet if you're posh).

Reply to
stuart noble

Nope. the best thing to do is a first fit of the sanitaryware with space allowed for the tiles, then remove the sanitaryware, tile and finally refit.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall