Throwing explosive fun

This was prompted by ARW's query about small blue LEDs. I didn't want to hijack his thread so this is under a new heading.

Does anyone remember about 40-45 years ago there was a 'toy' : a small wrap of paper which you would hurl at your friends and it would explode on contact with them or any other hardish surface. They weren't around long. I expect Thatcher banned them pretty quick, being the killjoy bitch she was. WTF were they?

CD.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Do you mean these Bang Snaps?

Pancho

'Bangers'

They weren't banned, we had them in the 90s. They're basically just the same thing as the noise in a Christmas cracker.

1.5mg of explosive in each one:
for sale to under 16s now.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Alan J. Wylie

Yes, that's them. Was beginning to think I'd imagined the whole craze. Thanks!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

They are still around today - I occasionally hear a spate of them going off, usually around schools. Not sure where they are being bought from.

Personally I made my own nitrogen tri-iodide, which was at least as much fun...

Reply to
jkn

Nitrogen or Ammonium?

Wew made the latter at school. Our chemistry teacher took a year out and was temporarily replaced by a newly qualified teacher (he'd been in our sixth form while I was in the first form and was notorious for painting the stuff on radiators, the bottom of seats and the cleaners' brushes - the former went off if the teacher shouted loud enough, the next when someone sat down and flexed the seat and the last when the cleaners started to sweep up).

In class, it was placed in a corner and hit with a window pole - I was about 10' away and was deaf for about 5 minutes and deaf in one ear for about 5 hours!

Reply to
SteveW

... and what happened to stink bombs? Do kids still skilfully drop one (as it were!) and then walk on it?

Reply to
nothanks

better with a lone star cap gun

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Peter James

Very much more dangerous in my day, was firing fence staples around using a rubber band.

Reply to
jon

We plashed some in the middle of engineering drawings, so when dried and the drawing was opened up it would flash and crack.

Reply to
jon

Some GPO telephone boxes had open cable entries at the back, so poking a stink bomb in was great fun when occupied.

Reply to
jon

Thatcher banned 'em in the early 80s, as I recall. It was one of the things she cracked down on. She liked a good crackdown, did Thatch.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Still safer than using a catapult I guess.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Stink bombs are still around. My own kids confirm that they are set off in school from time to time.

Reply to
SteveW

Probably imported by kiddies on day trips to France I'd imagine.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Still available if you frequent the right sort of shops and/or understand the relevant chemistry. I haven't seen them on sale for ages.

One prominent pyrotechnician I knew made his views about such volatile explosive compositions very clear. All of the worlds best fireworks makers are missing *precisely* one finger.

If you get the chemistry wrong you can sometimes end up inadvertently making it when trying to silver a telescope mirror.

Mistakes can easily result in loss of digits or worse. YMMV

Way back pre WWII there used to be an even more evil bang mix sold by high street chemists that is now fundamentally banned.

The two main sorts of pyrotechnics are kept very carefully separated in fireworks factories to avoid catastrophic trouble. It doesn't always work :( Barrier layers are put between them when finally assembled.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Um, that sounds improbable. Can anyone corroborate?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Not a galvanised bucket, but yes for a tin can. In order to get a tin can to go high enough to clear a two-story house the process was: Place large banger in slightly moist sand (to get a good seal). Light blue touch paper. Push can (normal size soup or baked beans tin) firmly down onto banger. Run

A galvanised bucket would hardly have moved.

John

Reply to
John Walliker