Thesis Writing Help By Professional Team of PhD Writers

Didn't exist, I used ed to write my thesis, and ROFF.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I expect teco was available, given that emacs started as a set of teco macros.

Reply to
Huge

So *that* is why it's so s**te! Well I never.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Although I didn't do a thesis, my university's best offering at the time seemed to be vecce

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ooh, a religious war!

(Actually, I've never used emacs, so have no opinion on it. I regard learning a new text editor with the same joy as open heart surgery, so only do it when I must, and of the half-dozen I know, I hate them all for one reason or another. (Current top dislike; the way gedit won't open files with what it regards as unknown characters in them)).

Reply to
Huge

Yes, I know. Waiting for a 'quiet day' (a legal fiction, your honour)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Nonsense. This is only true for Mickey-Mouse editors. Unless you're only talking about Mickey-Mouse functions - start the editor, delete a line, save the file and exit.

Reply to
Huge

I have all my source files (about 100) permanently open in TextWrangler, since I'm more or less continually working on them. If I restart the machine TW remembers what was open and reopens them all, a handy feature that the OS does these days for all apps.

And mickey-mouse editing is what one does, 99% of the time. What sort of actions do you consider to be non-Mickey?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I did actually use teco to write parts of mine...but only in upper case on a teletype...so I still needed the typist!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Searching and replacing non-printing characters. Searching for a string and joining the line containing it to the next/previous one. Having the ability to call external tools on selected pieces of text (and the ability to choose what those tools are). That sort of thing.

Reply to
Huge

Huge

Mmm. TW search/replace should be able to do all that. Plus it can compare files and do synchronised scrolling of the two source windows.

I know TW can run external scripts etc but I've never looked into that.

But it still only took me 5 minutes or less to be productive, which is the salient point. If it takes me 20 mins of poking round on the Internet to quit something that makes it bit-bucketable in my book.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Mine wasn't technically a thesis, as I only did Bachelor's. But Teco feeding into Runoff printed on a daisywheel... I couldn't do bulk entry on a teletype, the keyboard was too hard.

Things _have_ got better! (whaddya mean, coloured syntax highlighting?)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

But it isn't what you said.