Thesis Writing Help By Professional Team of PhD Writers

Are you searching for =93thesis writing help=94? Look no further, we give y= ou top standard thesis writing help at affordable cost with 100% satisfacti= on confirmed.

Reply to
Lorren Emmerson

Good grief, is this not , ahem, cheating?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Good grief, is this not , ahem, cheating?

Of course it's cheating... How else would Americans get any qualifications FFS !

Reply to
Robbo

FSVO "fine". By the time it appeared there were better computers around including the ACT Sirius.

I still have the paper tape with mine on it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have the folder containing the paper. Typed on a typewriter (and yes, I paid someone, and no, it didn't cost an arm and a leg).

Reply to
Bob Eager

My wife typed mine, we bought an Imperial 66 for the task. sadly the stencils got lost afterwards.

-- Phil Addison

Reply to
Phil Addison

Another Chuck Peddle design, but it was a few years later IIRC - early

1982...
Reply to
John Rumm

But you could play tunes on the diskette drives, since they ran at (IIRC) five different speeds.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Five different recording speeds - but only one rotational speed.

On the commodore ones, they favoured GCR encoding for the disks instead of the more common FM or MFM (another Chuck special!). This meant that they could record at different densities across the disk without needing to change the rotation speed. That allowed for more sectors per track on the outer "longer" tracks than the inner ones. Hence how chucks 8250 double density twin drive for the PET series managed 1MB per disk long before IBM achieved it - and their version needed new HD media.

The playing tunes on a drive trick was something most of the commodore drives could do - typically by stepping the heads at variable frequencies. Since the drives were "intelligent" (had their own CPU, ROM, RAM, OS etc, they have very tight low level control without needing any input from the main computer. Hence you could instruct the drive to load a program from disk into its own memory and execute it).

having said that, some folks have done similar with modern drives and dedicated controllers:

John Rumm

My recollection is that the Sirius used different rotational speeds. Wikipedia, at least, seems to agree!

Reply to
Bob Eager

And F1s

F Murtz

This one. And it didn't cost me anything; my Mum typed it.

Reply to
Huge

My mum never learned to type (she was a cashier). My typist was from the Electronics general office, and actually noticed typos of technical terms!

Reply to
Bob Eager

My recollection too.

Incidentally following on from John I know nothing significant about Commodore machines. But I don't see why GCR is necessary to allow varying bit rates.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Sorry, I was not being clear, my comments were about the commodore ones rather than the Sirrus (don't think I have ever seen one of those in the flesh). I was making the rash assumption (given the designer and the history with the commodore drives), that he used the same trick again. Although thinking about it, it does make some sense they switched to MFM since it was the standard used with MS-DOS...

Reply to
John Rumm

Mainly I believe that they were not constrained by the limitations of the standard MFM drive controllers used in most systems.

Reply to
John Rumm

No that can't be right the Sirius 1 had more rotational speeds, nine I think. It came close to a constant bits per inch recording format which is whit it could cram 600k per side on a floppy that IBM could only get to hold 360k

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yup, see my comment to Bob

Reply to
John Rumm

I 'ad to do mine on t'ferrite core wi' nowt t'keyboard, just a row of t'toggle switches

In reality I was one of those who had to seek out a professional typist and hand over my project, carefully written in my best handwriting, leaving space for drawings, graphs and mathematical/ scientific symbols to be added in later.

When I went back to uni 20-odd years later I was thinking these young kids don't know they're born with Word, Excel and Microsoft Equation editor.

-- Halmyre

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre