These drill bits are worth the money from Aldi.

It's what Merkins call Perspex.

Reply to
Grunff

The message from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

A tradename for polymethyl methacrylate, best known by one of its other tradenames, Perspex.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

Tin = Typo* for TiN, titanium nitride.

* or automatic capitalization correction kicked in)

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Hard discounters like Aldi & Lidl have about 11% of the food retail market in Europe compared to around 3% in the UK. Reatil analists put this down to two things - they won't waste money on expensive advertising & PR to boost their image - but the image they have doesn't appeal to class conscious Brits.

Why does a top brand carbide tipped masonry drill sell for £3+? Because it has Bosch on the packet? It can't cost more than 20p to make one.

And yes - I do restore cut rope.............

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They also have some angle grinders discs inc diamond and some SDS bits I'll be having a look at.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

I bought several of their diamond discs, but all but two are still in the packet - they seem to last very well.

Reply to
Guy King

Funny you should say that...

...Yes

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Not just class consciousness, it's also chauvinism - especially anti-German. I often shop in our local Lidl and I'm amazed at some of the remarks I overhear.

Reply to
Bob Martin

But don't you see the irony of your statement? Those remarks are being made by those who *do* shop at Lidl. I don't shop at Lidl, and am extremely unlikely to be heard making anti-German remarks.

I've been into both a Lidl and an Aldi, and found nothing there that I'd want to buy. So I chose to never go back in there, and continued to shop at Waitrose or Sainsburys.

Reply to
Grunff

|Bob Martin wrote: | |> Not just class consciousness, it's also chauvinism - especially anti-German. |> I often shop in our local Lidl and I'm amazed at some of the remarks I overhear. | |!! | |But don't you see the irony of your statement? Those remarks are being |made by those who *do* shop at Lidl. I don't shop at Lidl, and am |extremely unlikely to be heard making anti-German remarks. | |I've been into both a Lidl and an Aldi, and found nothing there that I'd |want to buy. So I chose to never go back in there, and continued to shop |at Waitrose or Sainsburys.

Now if I could afford Waitrose and Sainsburys prices :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

For the kind of things we buy, we've found very little price difference between Waitrose, Sainsburys and Tesco. The shop total is usually about the same, with less than say 10% variaton.

Reply to
Grunff

|Dave Fawthrop wrote: | |> Now if I could afford Waitrose and Sainsburys prices :-( | | |For the kind of things we buy, we've found very little price difference |between Waitrose, Sainsburys and Tesco. The shop total is usually about |the same, with less than say 10% variaton.

Lidl and Aldi are IME significantly cheaper and in many cases of equal quality, or at least better value for money.

On Tuesdays we go first to Lidl for basic items, then 200 yds up the road to Morrisons for other things, then down to Haqs for Yoghurt and other Ethnic things.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Strange way of looking at it. Some people will go anywhere for low prices.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Now come on, Guy, you should be buying them from Asprey's - you get what you pay for, you know, and you meet a far higher class of criminals, pimps and drug dealers in Bond Street than you do in wherever these frightful Aldliddo so-called shops are.

Reply to
Autolycus

Then you'd be wrong. I bought a set from Aldi branded Powerfix as is much of their stuff. All the 0.5mm steps from 1-10mm in a decent steel pop up box for about a fiver. To be honest I'd have paid that for the box alone - very useful for carrying drills around as I often seem to do.

The drills are 'titanium look' and I expected little of them. In fact they're at least the equal of the major shed brands like Bosch or B&D. And they've had a lot of use recently mainly in steel. Nor are they particularly brittle - I've been using them for drilling holes in the car, a common place to break the smaller sizes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Umm no.

only way one could describe "food" bought in these supermarkets as "better value for money" is if one is prepared any old s**te as long as it's cheap.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Agreed sainsbury tesco and asda similar prices but round here waitrose is significantly more expensive - much more than

10pc aldi and lidl ok but neither have enough variety of stock for a week's shop

my local aldi does tend to attract rather dodgy characters - especially when it is offering crowbars and bolt-cutters on the weekly special

Reply to
DMac

Nothing wrong with the Aldi in Ramsgate; they stock some really good quality food and wine there and it's usually quiet. Netto, on the other hand, should hand out free deodorant and valium at the door.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

If worried about value, why use just the one shop?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

|On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:43:32 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote: | |> Lidl and Aldi are IME significantly cheaper and in many cases of equal |> quality, or at least better value for money. | |Umm no. | |

||The only way one could describe "food" bought in these supermarkets as |"better value for money" is if one is prepared any old s**te as long as |it's cheap.

This years Lidl Stollen are IMO the *best* I have ever bought in the UK, and cheap. I love Stollen, and buy one whenever I see them on sale.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop