Festool drill - well worth the money.

Today, I was working alongside a bloke who had a Festool drill / driver. I have never seen them in the flesh before, and was rather sceptical of their value, being as they are roughly 3 times the price of a 'normal' drill from Bosch/Makita et al.

Anyway, my view has totally changed. They are truly excellent. They come with 3 differing chucks,and a driver chuck. These chucks are changed in less than 10 seconds, they are eccentric chuck, std. chuck, angled chuck, and the driver head chuck. The head ensures all drilling/driving is self centring. In use they are very smooth, and apparently, the 12v version is as good as other makes 18v drills.

The only downside is that I have to find £350 to buy one now. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Look at a Hilti.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Haven't tried the drills, but have tried the circular saws - and when I next replace, I'd seriously consider one (along with a Maffel).

On the CS I liked the track system, the precision adjustments (and consequently the beautiful cuts), the dust extraction, the detachable power lead and the systainer (which is compatible with Metabo).

Reply to
dom

"Our" carpenter (a friend who does carpentry) has just replaced most of his tools with a Festool system. I can see why.

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

My son recently purchased one of these and I have been using quite a lot recently. It is very, very good. The offset chuck is almost worth the extra money alone!

The one thing that I didn't like was that the torque setting was set a little high for my liking. It would overdrive a short wood screw in mdf on it's lowest torque setting. Festools "work around" to this was to switch to the higher speed where the lowest torque setting was less - I suppose that makes sense but a bit of a cop out.

My grotty old Makita does not have that problem. Seems to have a much lower torque setting at the lower end.

Roy

Reply to
RzzB

I agree.

I have a C12, and it's certainly my most used cordless tool. Torque/speed control and clutch are streets ahead of the rest of the market.

Reply to
Andy Hall