Festool drill - follow up.

After my query a few weeks ago about Festool drils, I took the plunge and bought one last week. I had tended toward the TDK, which looks like a 'normal' cordless drill, but after much persuasion from the salesman (they are within £20 of each other, so he had reason to favour either as a sale) I bought the strange looking C12. This has a better battery life, and supposedly performs much better than anything else as it has a brushless (induction?) motor.

I added a few drill bits and a quick release driver bit(which I found later that I didnt really need). Total cost £427. Yep, bloody expensive for a drill.

But, it is worth it. So smooth, and easy to use. 3 chucks included at that price - normal, offset (drill right into corners) and a 90degree angled adaptor, as well as the driver/festool drill holder.

3 year warranty included

In use, so far, it has been perfect. The only downside is that I dont want to use it for anything where it is likely to get mucky, so it has only been used on wood so far, though I think woodwork is its forte. I've been doing a bit of fencing today and took the 'old' (6 mth old) Bosch out, and realised just how crap it is compared to the Festool. The Bosch was £120 new, so not a particularly cheap drill itself.

If anyone is thinking of getting a new drill, I would seriously look at one of the Festool range, - expensive, but real quality, and a joy to use. (now, I've just got to fill in that Festool sales rep form!) Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Can you elaborate how it's better than the Bosch?

I've handled other Festool tools (and they're fab), but not the drills.

Which model Bosch were you comparing it to btw?

Reply to
dom

Bosch GSR14.4V2 iirc. The Festool is just so smooth, it holds the bits really tight when drilling(a constant complaint with the Bosch, as drill bits come loose). Controlling speed is really easy - you can turn a screw in as slow as you like. The bit holder is the best I've ever used, it is magnetic, but the bit seems to stick in there, not being pulled out like other bit holders I've used, and when you want to change the bit, it comes out quite easily. The chucks are a work of art in themselves - I didnt think I'd use the

90deg chuck, but found it great for screwing in kitchen cabinet screws on Sunday - something even the smallest drill drivers couldnt do as space was so tight. Torque setting is dead easy, and instead of clicking as the bit is stopped, the motor itself stops - you can keep your finger on the trigger, but it will not turn again until you release the pressure. There is a vast array of accessories - on Sunday I didnt use the drill chuck, just the driver chuck, and a few of the Festool drill bits that click in like screw bits. I'm impressed, it's got to be the best bit of equipment I've ever bought. Alan.
Reply to
A.Lee

For that money I want Lions, not NiMH

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I completely agree. I've had a C12 for well over a year. It performs smoothly and with precision with the clutch control and braking

It's actually a kind of stepper motor technology.

I've used several Bosch products and they are quite good. I have several Makita drills which get regular use and they are good workhorses.

However, the Festool is in a different league in terms of control, performance and versatility.

The pack of Centrotec items is also worth getting as these are also of high quality. I got a deal on the two together at an Axminster show.

The sanders are also good should you need one.

Reply to
Andy Hall