The UK Guild of Handymen

Any thoughts on the above?

Seems like a good idea & cheap enough for a punt.

Anyone care to try the postcode search & see if you know whoever it brings up?

The Medway Handyman

There are lots of 'not currently a member' entries and no members!!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You are on it 'Not currently a member'.

Reply to
Part Timer

It doesn't launch until 15th October - its a new service.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

value but another crest on the website wouldn't do any harm.

Reply to
fred

UK Guilt of Handymen.

What have you been up to, Our Dave?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes I know, I registered for free.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The catchment area is ridiculously wide: well over forty miles, in my case. And not one of the several excellent (very) local men and firms came up.

The postcode search includes a lot of names marked as "not currently a member" which rather makes one wonder about the criteria for getting listed.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Knicker drawer?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Too many currents - are they baking a cake?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not currantly, no....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

..but they might be building a grid..:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It sounds to me like it might become another of these organisations that pressurise the government into restricting d-i-y.

Remember gas; electricity...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

away. It found a couple of dozen who are "not currently a member" within a 35 mile radius - but *not* a bloke who is virtually on the doorstep.

The criteria for joining seem a bit dubious - including an on-line competence test. I suppose you might demonstrate your rank

*incompetence* via an on-line (presumably multiple choice) test - but how the hell do you demonstrate your *competence* in things practical that way?

Ok, you also need a couple of positive customer reviews - but I'm sure that even the BBC's Rogue Traders would have no problem in forging those!

I suppose if it catches on, you may have to become a member - and presumably pay a fee - in order to get any work. But I suspect that it's just a licence to print money for whoever dreamt up the idea - and not worth a lot to the consumer.

Reply to
Roger Mills

My view of most of these schemes, having been invited to join more than one, usually for no good reason.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Very new:

Date of Incorporation: 02/09/2011

If you try the postcode G81 1AN you may find competition!!!!!!

Owain

PS I suspect from a mistyped postcode they may be sourcing non-member data from

Owain

Not a single entry for my postcode.

Reply to
S Viemeister

For my postcode it didn't bring up any names that I recognise from local rags etc, but it did bring up a non-local handyman whose address was coincidentally the same as the address of the guild!

Reply to
Andy Burns

My search came with non-members in Sheerness, Gillingham, Chatham and Rochester. They are all around 10 to 15 miles away from S.E. Essex (but not by road).

Reply to
Alan

Searching WC1

20 listed, all "not currently a member", only three are really local, none I have ever heard of, none I would consider using.
Reply to
djc