The stone river bridge Oxford

They often show the view of the multi-arch bridge, as seen from the river, in various TV series and even old films. What I notice is that one of the arches seems to have serious dip in the middle, as if it is on the point of collapsing. Even the stone balustrade, as seen from the road/ footpath seems to exhibit a dip in the middle, over the centre of that arch. No I don't know the name of the bridge, but from working down there, it is probably the bridge where the punts can be hired.

I cannot seem to find any information on it - am I seeing things?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Magdalen Bridge, Oxford?

Reply to
Robin

Do you mean this bridge

/
(Magdalen Bridge over the Cherwell - pronounced Maudlin and Charwell respectively)? Or this one
/
(Folly Bridge over the Thames). They both look OK to me.

You can hire punts from near both of those bridges.

Reply to
NY

Don't know how old these photos are but 'Newbridge to Oxford Walk' looks a high maintenance jobbo :-

Bertie Doe

Ah the "Rose Revived" bridge (the name of a pub beside the bridge). I know that one well - to drive over - because it is only wide enough for single-file traffic so there are long queues of traffic waiting to get across.

A thought had occurred to me: could it be the bridge by The Trout pub at Godstow that the OP was thinking of? I can only find this view

*from* it; there isn't a view *of* it from near the wooden bridge.

Reply to
NY

That's Magdalen Bridge. The middle arches of the bridge span dry land known as Angel and Greyhound Meadow. Only the arches at either end span two branches of the Cherwell, which meanders all over the place. The westernmost branch abutting the High Street is wider and is where they hire the punts.

michael adams

michael adams

I'd forgotten about the second branch of the Cherwell, slightly further SE of Magdalen College.

Does the other island, the one that is completely downstream of the bridge, have a name? Google Maps doesn't name it, and the OS maps on Streetmap.co.uk at various scales from 1:50,000 - 1:2,500 don't name either island.

Reply to
NY

I doubt they were ever islands, as such. I'd imagine the reason the bridge was originally built so wide was because what's now Angel and Greyhound Meadow as with the land you're referring to across from Christ Church Meadow were often under water or at least not navigable by foot being part of the flood plain of the meandering Cherwell.

The meandering course of the Cherwell is quite unusual and would probably reward five minutes Googling.

michael adams

michael adams

I'd guess the common one in films/TV is Magdalen Bridge but it looks OK to me in google images. If you Google Images "oxford bridges", oddly enough you don't get any early hits on Magdalen, but several of Folly Bridge and the others which have been mentioned.

Reply to
newshound

NY has brought this to us :

Neither of those and I have found the bridge in Bertie Doe's post below. I will reply to his post...

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Its one of those - 2nd row from top, left most one. If you click on it to zoom in, it appears to be collapsing in the middle span and the balustrade even shows a dip in the middle.

Harry Bloomfield

I heard it called school field but have no idea if that's just 'cos it'd been used by Magdalen College School for a wee while

Robin reply-to address is (intended to be) valid

Reply to
Robin

Nightjar was thinking very hard :

Thanks, that answers my question.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Back in my mind there is an old story about the bridge being built from both sides and some, ahem adjustment had to be made to line them up in the middle. However who really knows? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The line of the balustrade base does appear to dip and does above the side arches as well. However the top of the center balustrade does not appear to dip. The arches themselves look fine. I think it's as designed.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

One of the cambridge bridges - think its Trinity - is distinctly lopsided and has been for years. If you get buttress movement thats what happens. If you then shore up the buttress it stops.

MM. Its Clare actually

Note the dip in the center span and the lack of symmetry on the LHS span.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

replying to Harry Bloomfield, MsRachel wrote: It looks to me like Clare Bridge, Clare College, Cambridge.

Reply to
MsRachel

replying to The Natural Philosopher, MsRachel wrote: It?s Clare Bridge, Clare College, Cambridge. :)

Reply to
MsRachel

replying to Harry Bloomfield, MsRachel wrote: Sorry, the pic that keeps showing up is Clare Bridge, Clare College, Cambridge. But, that may not be the original bridge of which you speak. If it?s in Oxford, it?s probably Magdalen Bridge, and views are probably taken from the Botanical Garden. There?s a lot of other ?river bridges? in Oxford?people already mentioned one by the Trout Inn and the Folly Bridge. There?s various toll bridges, too. Never saw anything dipping, though.

Reply to
MsRachel