the 'square' bar in a door

The square bar (the spindle?) should be square in cross section, shouldn't it? I've just replaced a door handle. The handle had a square hole but the spindle was 7mm x 8mm so I had to grind a mil off one face. Is this some sort of manufacturer's stunt to cause incompatibility?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

There generally seems some difficulty with spindle bars not fitting either lock or handles, I think a lot of it is down to metrication. Most handles and locks particularly those produced abroad seem to come with 8x8mm square bars whilst imperial ones tended to be 5/16" square. Although the difference is a "midges dick" difference and most locks and handles usually are a sloppy fit that can cope with either, I have come across latches where one will fit and not the other.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Just more cheap tat.

The joiner/carpenter who fitted the doors in our office cut all these square bars short. A right royal p.i.a. as the handle is used to pull the door open

Reply to
billyorange007

I've come across different sizes as well. Not sure there was ever a standard in the first place. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)