new interior door handle latch won't fully retract, locking you in or out

I had new Gate House interior lever door handles for bedrooms. Worked great. I changed them out for the same brand and style only with lock. Now the latch doesn't fully retract keeping you from being able to get in/out. Is there a quick fix? Why would that happen. I have 3 and all have the exact same problem.

Reply to
Rachael

Rachael was thinking very hard :

Obviously that happened because you are posting via the lame homehub site, rather than using a properly newsgroup application.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I doubt that but at least its not a reply to a years old post. Thinking about this logically it can only be two things, either the travel of the rotation is more for the locking version of the lock in the door, or something is obstructing it. I'd take it all apart and check the lock actually does what it should externally first. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have found when the latches themselves wear internally, they do slightly less retraction for a given amount of rotation. So if the new handles turn them slightly less, the only option might be new latches to go with them.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do these use the old square bars? I noticed some time ago some enterprising Herbert had decided to make these out of nylon, and hence they wear and can even break off!

I do sometimes wonder if people have ever heard of the old adage, if its not bust don't fix it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

These sort of handles usually have a stop in each handle. If you've used the old fixing holes it is likely reaching the stop before the latch has retracted fully.

Remove the fixing screws and turn the handle so the latch is fully retracted. Mark new screw holes with a pencil, drill pilot holes and fix. Do the same both sides.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My first guess would be that the square hole in the new handle is bigger than on the previous handles by 1mm or so. Some of the handle movement is therefore used up absorbing the slack in the mechanism. Brass shims or a bigger square section rod through the door will sort that out.

The other possibility is that the lock itself that controls the lever is damaged and doesn't rotate correctly any more. Disturbing something that was about to break anyway might tip it over the edge. I had one on an external door fail fairly recently locking me out for a while. The square hole central casting had split in two making it impossible to retract the catch without some cunning and a very large screwdriver.

Luckily I had tools in the garage to take it apart and let myself in.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Did you buy lever handles for sprung latches, or lever handles for unsprung latches?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sometimes the new handles require new smaller bars, so you end up needing a new latch, and if you're not careful the latch requires the hole in a different place, so you end up making more work just to fit new handles.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I had one on an

I have had the same. A nasty casting that often powders away, leaving a deposit in the cavity.

I bought new handles "sets" complete with shafts, latch and striker plates. Very inexpensive on Ebay.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Looks a bit daft with rectangular escutcheons!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Andy Burns wrote in news:fgah11Foh7rU1 @mid.individual.net:

The set-up feels horrid if everything is not sprung.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

To save everyone a load of trouble, I suspect the OP is in the USA, and the locks she is talking about are here:

GB

True. You'd then be down to dismantling the handle and filing down the stop.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)