what switched you off a thread?

For me it is the "Senile;e" alert, what a waste of space!
On 25/11/2019 12:37, Broadback wrote:
Normally I enter / leave when it drifts into or out of an area where I am interested, or feel I have something of use to contribute. By the time it has degenerated[1] to political name calling, I go.
[1] and quite a few seem to start there.

I just filter out all of those...
--
Cheers,

John.
I am with you John, it is amazing how quick threads degenerate to political mudslinging or just general slanging off. I think the record is from a genuine DIY post to crap in about 5 posts. See if the trolls can pick up on this thread and do their worst!
Richard
On Monday, 25 November 2019 14:00:29 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:

DIY is a disappearing skill these days. The snowflake generation doesn't want to get it's hands dirty.
On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 09:13:02 UTC, harry wrote:

ical mudslinging or just general slanging off. I think the record is from a genuine DIY post to crap in about 5 posts. See if the trolls can pick up o n this thread and do their worst!

I think you'll find the snowflake gen arenlt really allowed to. The homes being build are already decorated and furnished and then you only own a 50% share some are now 25% , and you arenlt allowed to make large ch anges when you live on the 10th floor of a block, you can't just knock a wa ll down.
Few can afford to buy a house without help from parents, which is why banks and building societies are coming out with special options where parents a re ropped in as guarentees for loans.
Also the sort of things that you probbaly did in the past can be bought now much cheapr than you can build, and there's few jobs needed for those skil ls. The workplace has changed and the skills needed have also changed.

That’s bullshit.

That begs the question of why there isnt a market for new builds that arent complete with the new owner doing the painting or wall papering etc to save some money. Same with the kitchen etc.

But its less clear what percentage of sales are like that. Sure, due to the high price, its certainly more likely that the snowflake generation is more often buying those.

But you are free to replace the clapped out kitchen and bathroom etc.

Yes but no reason why those propertys can't be DIYed.

That’s bullshit with say kitchens.

That’s bullshit too.

But the building industry hasn’t really changed all that much.
Yes, it makes less sense now to repair appliances, and cars are much more reliable than they have ever been, but there is still plenty of DIY to do in the garden etc.
Its more likely that it’s the much higher living standards that have seen far fewer need to DIY when they can just buy a very decent very usable car for what almost everyone can afford to do today and they can afford to pay someone to change the oil and filters etc.
On Wednesday, 27 November 2019 15:24:25 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

rd

ls

I was refering to the UK mostly London properties. But you're an expert on bullshit so why not prove it.

Because most are sold for renting and to those that have the money and don' t care. when paying 40-70% of yuor wages in rent you don;t really wan tto s pend money on decorating unless the place is really awful and if it is why buy it in the first place.

It not less clear to those that live in the areas and walk past the estate agents and you see just how many there are.

and how are they affording them. Here's some near me. Now why would you go around ripping all the stuff out and starting again.
https://www.peabodysales.co.uk/developments/motion-shared-ownership/?utm_so urce=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIs AJL5a-JFzW_P9sHV8Ehh2Pv7-Yklp9gMI-A_DoRyXW5_L_leS1Xjh_aNCMEaApC2EALw_wcB
https://www.peabodysales.co.uk/developments/motion-shared-ownership/prices- availability/shared-ownership/

But they aren't clapped out, they are new.
Those clapped out places are for renting as multi-ocupancy .

Other than money to buy them in the first place.
How about yuo proving your point, find somewhere , give a few examples.
Trouble is if you can afford 50% plus wages going on the mortgage you don;t always have the time to do DIY.

Prove it.

Talking shit again, your favourite subject.

Mostly pre-fabs, and it has changed quite a bit. New builds are in demand threfore the prices are high, so you get them as part ownership.
I've given you a link try to understand it.

if you have one and are interested in one, most of the modern flats yuo sha re a garden of which some are on rooves and you don;t get to do anyhting yo u pay at least £50 a month for maintaince of such things.

yes adn easy to get car cleaners, but then again lots of these flats don't come with any space for parking a car.

Still bullshit there on the mostly.

Oh bullshit.

Because it’s a lot cheaper, stupid.

Because its cheaper with the established propertys stupid.

No one said that they don’t exist. What matters DIY wise is what percentage of sales are like that.

The sales arent of just new ones, fuckwit.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that’s saying something.

Someone clearly owns them fuckwit.

Watch that reality TV series property ladder, stupid.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that’s saying something.

Watch that reality TV series property ladder, stupid.

BULLSHIT.

More bullshit.

There arent just new builds, fuckwit.

Not everyone lives in modern flats, stupid.

Not everyone lives in a flat, stupid.
On Wednesday, 27 November 2019 17:00:06 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
from the back of a desperately cowering gutless fuckwit.
On Thursday, 28 November 2019 05:22:50 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

But where did the shit, bullshit, fuckwit, and Even sillier than you usually manage, actually originate from. Is it really proof that pond life can use a computer.
On Wednesday, 27 November 2019 17:00:06 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Then show me those that you claim are affordable and can be DIY'd

No it is not if you are looking for an 'affordable' property. -------------- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38067626
In 2004, then Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott announced plans to build homes for just £60,000.
Eight of the 10 planned developments were completed, but the houses were so ld for far more than promised - an average of £231,000 in one developm ent.
----------------
why do you thgink a significant number of properties are now offered at 50% ownership or less and soem as little as 25%, because peole just can;t affo rd £300,000+ for a one bed studio flat.

But it's a lot cheaper to buy a shared ownsership property that's fully fur nished and ready to live in.

but it;s not because those properties are more expensive. So they make new builds cheaper by offering part ownership.

m_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCq ARIsAJL5a-JFzW_P9sHV8Ehh2Pv7-Yklp9gMI-A_DoRyXW5_L_leS1Xjh_aNCMEaApC2EALw_wc B

ces-availability/shared-ownership/

Most for 1st time buyers. That's why they are 1-3 bed and not really advertised as family homes.

but the clapped out ones are more expensive to buy as yuo have to buy 100% not 50% or 25%.
wrote

Didn’t say anything about affordable.

Obviously those whose parents assist them with getting the property.

But those can still by DIYed by those landlords. --------------

Irrelevant to what existing propertys can still be DIYed.

Still plenty that arent sold that way.

They arent all shared ownership.

Plenty of new builds arent shared ownership.

Easy to claim and pity about the non 1st time buyers.

it isnt just family homes that are DIYed and never was.

But will happen. And it isnt just clapped out and new propertys either.
On Friday, 29 November 2019 15:23:00 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

well who's going to buy things that aren't affordable ? It those that have some way of selling them on or making profit via rent or as an investment.

The it's not DIY if yuor parents are paying for it. Look at the letters in DIY see if yuo can work out what they represent.

Landlord almost always get someone in to do such jobs that's what makes the m landlords.

ild

existign properties are more expensive. Heres an existing one, I walk past .
1 bed £300k almost 3 times the price of a new property.
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/new-homes/details/52586016?search_identifier 4 d0e8429fec6e3dfefe58e57135e6e
Try doing a search for any property less than the price of the new builds.

No there aren't or perhaps you can find one.

The affordable ones are, or find one that isn't shared ownership.

but are £300k or more.
wrote

Those who have enough of a clue to realise that it makes no sense to be pumping rent into a landlord's pocket if its possible to buy a place instead.
The only time it can make sense to not do that is with small business that can produce a better on the money that would be invested in a house. But that is only the case with the best of the small businesses.

And those that have enough of a clue to have noticed that it makes no sense to be filling the landlords pockets if its possible to buy instead.

Corse its DIY if you do the work yourself instead of paying someone to do the work instead.

Irrelevant to whether plenary of snowflakes that get their parents to help them buy a property are free to DIY that property.

Plenty don’t. Two of my mates are landlords and they DIY the places they buy to rent out.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that’s saying something.

So there is a good reason to save on costs by DIYing, stupid.

Irrelevant to whether it makes sense to DIY what needs to be done on it when it costs so much to buy.

Irrelevant to whether it makes sense to DIY what needs to be done on it when it costs so much to buy.

Corse there are.

Looking at for sale ads doesn’t tell you that. What you need to look at is the actual sale.

What matters is what gets sold, not just the affordable ones.

Not possible with for sale ads. What matters is the sales that happen.

So it makes sense to DIY when its hard to find that sort of money.
On Saturday, 30 November 2019 03:58:07 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

:
ate

.
.
But it's not possible for the majority or they'd do it. The majority of school leavers or college grads buying their first property don't have £50k plus spare to put even a 10% depsoit down on a 1 bed f lat.

4d0e8429fec6e3dfefe58e57135e6e

It's not irrelivant.

It's not irrelivant.
Try finding a place in London then, go on prove it.

So prove it.
On 02/12/2019 13:13, whisky-dave wrote:

Given the topic of this thread I had to smile - looking at six consecutive posts of whisky-dave apparently replying to himself (because like most, I have wodney filtered out).
--
Cheers,

John.
On Monday, 2 December 2019 16:17:57 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

If only you could filter out people rather than just their posts. :-D
wrote

Sure but it doesn’t have to be the majority to still have plenty that can be DIYed.

See above.

Not possible when you lot don’t have lists of what actually sold and how that was financed.
Just because the for sale ad says that part ownership is possible, doesn’t mean that it actually sold that way, particularly with the ones that had help from their parents.

See above.
On Monday, 2 December 2019 16:43:09 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

ink

if

Depending on what you mean by plenty. What do you mean by plenty can you show at least 3 properties in London tha t a typical graduate on their first job can afford to buy a do up as a DIY pr oject while working full time.

yes see above.

Why do you need a list use the estate agent sites.
And it has nothing to do with you how such things are financed.

Yes it does the part ownership means the other part is owned by a company t hat charges you rent, even though you part own the property.