The return of Heathkit?

Fantastic press release, answered all my questions about the company, but none about the products for the 21st century, like will the SMT workstation be included in the kit, or will they assume you already have one, like you would had an iron.

Or will you be "building" in the sense people say they are "building" a PC, which of course they aren't.

I never built any Heathkit stuff, it was just too expensive.

Reply to
Graham.

I built loads of it - my Dad was a consultant for them, and I did pre-release test-building, so those kits were free.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I cloned one - the MA-5 mono amplifier. EL84s for output AFAIR.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Take the survey

or come back tomorrow

Will the first product be a wigglyscope?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I remember when they added it to the Maplin catalogue - some nice looking stuff (plus lots of "too simple" basic projects), but as you say, a frightening price.

I remember reading through all the stuff about HERO-1, and thinking - wow would love to build that. Then I saw the price and thought perhaps not!

Reply to
John Rumm

I still have the stereo tape recorder I built in 1968.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

So do I. Two of them - one built-in, one 'portable'.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I've done the survey.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

It certainly was - but the odd thing good value compared to commercially available products. One was their valve voltmeter - still got one here, but can't remember the last time it was used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From the questionnaire (my asterisks):

Suppose you could get a special "insider" limited-edition model of a new Heathkit, maybe with special design features, and only a select few people can own it, *but it costs more*. How much extra would this exclusive model be worth to you? Choose one of the following answers

Reply to
Graham.

Hmmm.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I use (check all that apply): Check any that apply

  • iPad * iPhone * Android phone * Android tablet * Kindle * Windows phone * Windows tablet * Blackberry phone * Blackberry Playbook tablet * Other: 1940s dial phone

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I am proud to say I don't use any of the above.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Likewise, apart from dial phones.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You use a dial phone? A real one - not one of those dummy ones with buttons?

Couldn't stand one of them with our 11 digit numbers. Glad they were never implemented on mobiles. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Two stereo tape recorders? That'll be quadraphonic, then.

Reply to
Peter Percival

Nor I.

Reply to
Peter Percival

I have dozens of them of various antiquities.

I also have a (small) switchboard with dolls-eye indicators.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Is that weasel words? :-)

Do you actually use them for dialling bloody great numbers and responding to voice prompts?

Reply to
polygonum