The reasons why windmills wont work...

Exactly as I do - now I am back using "my relatively old Windows XP laptop."

Reply to
Rod

BBC Gardening site every month.

I find it very efficient when one's arranging appointments on the phone, no scrabbling around in diaries.

Reply to
magwitch

Actually, the idea of "one processor per user" came out of Xerox PARC. Microsoft then stole it, like they do everything else.

Reply to
Huge

Me too.

And I have animated GIFs disabled, too. And popups.

Reply to
Huge

Some popups are good. I don't mind teh ones tat pop up as a response to MY input. Not sure it adblock plus can tell the difference.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Funny how frequently you see "Terminal Services" or "Citrix" - though I acknowledge the fact that the client user does need an intelligent device of sort sort.

Reply to
Rod

Since I add annoying sources of things to Adblock and run FlashBlock in Firefox, I rarely have a problem either with popups or flash not working when wanted. Only very occasionally, I do find them a nuisance.

Reply to
Rod

How do you figure that then?

Reply to
Fevric J Glandules

How do you figure that?

Reply to
Fevric J Glandules

What, that MS stole it? They stole everything else, why make an exception?

Reply to
Huge

Hell of an echo in here.

Reply to
Huge

Hmm, who did they rip off that concept from? :-)

Reply to
Jules

I suppose they were very much networking pioneers, and ISTR some of the systems having the ability to do all the number-crunching on the user's machine, whilst storing the data on a remote fileserver.

I can well believe that their vision was for everyone to have a low-cost machine at their desk, with a big expensive server somewhere in the background.

In the MS arena it's more a case of everyone needing a big, expensive machine at their desk, though :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Ummm, cos maybe IBM "stole" it?

Reply to
Fevric J Glandules

I thought the first one had got lost.

Reply to
Fevric J Glandules

The question is really whether one centralises or decentralises the horse power.

Decentralisation is political for most users - i.e. I have a 3GHz CPU on my desk and a 250mm willy.

In reality, most people don't *need* said horsepower for some or all of the time and there are cost and efficiency benefits in centralising.

As far as Xerox is concerned...... they never came up with anything original.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Since when did willies go metric? Is this an EU thing? Can we insist on todger measurements being Imperial? Do you think trading standards could prosecute a "male escort" if he advertised himself in inches, not mm?

Reply to
Fevric J Glandules

They always have been.

Defintely not

Not really.

You might want to get an opinion next time you call one.

Reply to
Andy Hall

ITYM a cheap machine on each desk. What's the cheapest thin client.. yes a PC.

Reply to
dennis

VT100 or Wyse 50 IIRC..

Reply to