The reasons why windmills wont work...

Yes, and people who kill people don't kill people unless they're killing them.

Language is a convenience, not a mirror to reality. If "kill" means "cause to die", you can argue that the only thing that kills anyone is the body's own malfunction. In the end, who cares?

---

---

Reply to
Francis Turton

Can't comment on big ones I've never been near enough to any. Small ones, approx 5kW or below are noisy and the 500W boat battery charging ones terrible.

What I would like to see the proper research into infrasound from big turbines. All the "noise" surveys I've come across work on the basis of "if you can't hear it it's not a problem" so they make measurements using the A weighting curve. This is 40 odd dB down at 30Hz probably about 60dB down at 7Hz. That sort of attenuation makes a pneumatic drill barely audible...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , at 12:59:00 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

Not sure how that solves the problem of wading through 4ft of fibreglass to reach the other side.

Mine wouldn't be full, though. Maybe only 10%.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 13:02:51 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

The rafters are there to stop the roof "spreading", ie the ridge descending and the guttering moving outwards.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 12:58:57 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

The proposition was putting insulation board *outside* the outside walls, then stucco on top. That form of construction is very like a timber framed house when it comes to the integrity of the stucco.

And no, I've never seen it. but apparently there's one house near me (in West Bridgford) that's been converted like this. Someone posted a link yesterday. If I knew where it was I'd go round and have a look.

Later... Ah, 9 Patrick Rd; that's about two doors away from someone I know.

Reply to
Roland Perry

That's why "Donkey Stones" were invented (To make shiny old stone steps non - slip).

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Is the sheep still inside it ?

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Have you tried Bismuth ?

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Because you put 1/2 the insulation above you & 1/2 below.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That's unlikely, how would you know if you'd seen it?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Funny you should say that ...

that would

Geography with Dance. (Croydon).

"International Hospitality Management" A 4 year Honours. Degree (if you don't mind) at "Leeds Metropolitan University".

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

In message , at 15:12:46 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

I need a picture for that. What keeps the "above" insulation up there?

Reply to
Roland Perry

It's springy. The obvious brand is rockwool semi rigid resin bonded slabs.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Not all of them. I've only seen one on a boat and it made no noise at all whether turning or not.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why? Does it make you f**t a lot or something?

Reply to
Chris Shore

In message , at 16:22:02 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

How does being springy keep it up. My purlins are about 15ft apart, and at four feet above the rafters wouldn't it be a bit claustrophobic underneath?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Most house's it sits in between the rafters, no idea why the purlins would come into it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Doh !

IGWS the roof ( tiles, felt, and rafters) has to be supported.

It's weight is supported by the walls.

In the absence of the joists (or the joist element within a pre constructed truss) the rafters would tend to push the walls apart at the wall plate causing the walls to topple over. The joists are in tension so that the resultants of the forces acting on the wallplates are more / less vertical.

What I am saying is that because of the cost in a spec built house the builder will only have specified trusses just strong enough to hold the additional load of the weight of the ceiling beneath, which he himself will be adding during construction. In any event he has to have some figures to work on which are about right and he can't get these from the intended buyer because he doesn't know who that is, the house is intended to be sold finished on the open market.

Adding extra load to the roofspace floor, which may include flooring it out in parts with chipboard and storing the petty chattels of several deceased or emigrated relatives, (father in law did that but in a 1932 semi, SWMBO refuses to accept we can't do the same in a

1976 Tacky Box), then sending a 200 lb bloke up to recover odd items every now and then / fix the TV aerial etc. may well eat into safety margins, and may cause problems.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Nah it's just her plot to get you on a diet.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , at 17:40:55 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

Were you the person who said "you put 1/2 the insulation above you & 1/2 below", and "if you want a warm roof you stick the insulation between the Purlins."

... or was that a different Duncan?

I've been having this conversation on the basis that "above me" is resting on the purlins, and "below me" is surrounding the rafters.

Reply to
Roland Perry