The reasons why windmills wont work...

That works really well then.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That's one of those things where you'd only notice that it's been done if it goes wrong. It's mismatching your insulation, vapour barrier & render that makes it go wrong.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It doesn't get switched off, it uses negligible power at night

Mine isn't. Actually there is a mains powered one but that's unplugged due to it being useless, crying wolf & not having a silence button.

Me to, why would I want to?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If it bridges the risers. Heavy carpet's a far more sensible short term solution.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

you, I thought this was very telling.

?The average age of engineers in the industry is about 50 and they?ll have to be replaced, but we just haven?t got enough of the right skills here,? he says. ?Getting as many bums on university seats as possible is not doing the country any favours. Removing the polytechnic levels of training was a mistake, and the vocational route into industry ? which can be very lucrative ? has been largely forgotten about. We?re doing all we can from within the industry, but there?s no question that we?re suffering from a skills gap.? Or, as SembCorp?s Terry Waldron puts it, ?If all the potential investment over the next 10 years were to actually happen, then we could have real problems building the facilities, let alone running them.?

I suspect that inadvertently he is speaking for a wider audience.

Paul

Reply to
PaulB

The message from David Hansen contains these words:

So is Hanson as rich as Croesus or does he claim "wasting vast amounts of my money" because he is clueless about numbers?

Reply to
Roger

Sounds like marketing speak to me. NASA style Multi Layer Insulation (MLI) is excellent as long as you're not trying to use it in any kind of atmosphere. I blanked out partway through that Grand Designs though so I don't know what the variation was.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Frost

Well it was Kevin McCloud holding out his hands x distance apart who was giving the facts and he's usually reliable, however no trade name was given but a clear shot of it was, edge on, and it was as above. Atmosphere? Well it was being fixed to the supporting timber framework of a copper clad dome, and therefore inside, i.e. dry.

Paul

Reply to
PaulB

There's a silver cloud in every lining...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Good round here, innit?

It seems to depend on each individual's level of night vision. My wife experiences cloud-filtered starlight as total blackness, while after a few moments I can still make out the white-painted house.

Reply to
Ian White

In message , at

22:31:00 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Dave Liquorice remarked:

Having lived in several large towns I was very struck when I went to view what was to be the first house I bought - not quite in a village but very much on the edge of town. It was mid-evening, and the silence was deafening. No distant (constant) rumble of traffic. That's why I'm somewhat anti neighbourhood windmills.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 22:38:52 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

How much does that much insulation cost? I reckon it would be about a container full.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 22:39:57 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

And the experience in the USA is that it almost always does go wrong.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Atmosphere as in not vacuum. Because it's multiple thin layers, heat transfer by gas molecules can very quickly become dominant. Works nicely in orbit or on the Lunar surface, but a different approach is needed for Mars.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Frost

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 20:14:04 GMT someone who may be Roger wrote this:-

Excellent, being rude and also a distortion by trying to assign the words of others to me, all in four words. Excellent, do keep it up.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 20:59:03 +0000 someone who may be The Natural Philosopher wrote this:-

I note that you had nothing to say about the figures.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 21:02:10 +0000 someone who may be Roland Perry wrote this:-

Nice try, but incorrect.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 20:15:58 -0000 someone who may be "dennis@home" wrote this:-

That is certainly the impression one gets from the usual suspects.

Reply to
David Hansen

If their houses are even remotely modern, the roof will be held up by the "million matchsticks" method and they won't be able to store stuff up there anyway. Nor walk around, for that matter.

Reply to
Huge

Not seen that. I assume such houses are lots cheaper, as they give you lots less usable space. Although, giving you less usable space for the same land take does sound somewhat unnecessarily inefficient.

Reply to
Tim Ward