The reasons why windmills wont work...

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 17:27:41 +0000 someone who may be Roland Perry wrote this:-

An interesting distortion of what Mary typed.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 17:44:31 +0000 someone who may be The Natural Philosopher wrote this:-

More convincing than claims about houses becoming unsaleable.

Reply to
David Hansen

Just look what happened to Laura Ashley, the patron saint of earth mothers and cottage industries ;-)

Reply to
magwitch

Just how many people are sharing your hydro-electricity? Does anyone actually make sure they are not selling more hydro electricity than they generate? What electricity do the Scotts burn after you have bought the hydro electricity? Do you waste more in power line losses shipping your electricity from Scotland?

You can be very green by careful marketing, even negative carbon if you really try. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

So now that you've written off most of Romsey Town and vastly more housing, what are we supposed to do, pull it up and fill the space with concrete?

Paul

Reply to
PaulB

It's difficult if you want a cold roof, achieving it by insulating between the joists & the rafters is fairly easy (well my 70 year mother managed it)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Or blow loose lay in.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

=A3820 for 'lectric and about =A31600 for oil.

Average electricity consumption is pretty much 24kWhr day.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Only if you feel the need to heat the bedrooms during the day, a timer controlled valves going to be the quickest paying back device in that situation.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

No, it uses very little electricity if you don't open the door.

If I'm not at home, the smoke detector eats 1 PP3 about every 7 years, I haven't got a cordless phone & the cellphone/alarmclock uses under 5W. When it's plugged in.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

So with losses 25% - 35% depending on design.

Compared to 90% for a gas boiler.

Yes that is little if its for heating. Electricity easily wins if its to work a TV or a lamp.

more than 50% lower?

Reply to
dennis

The message from David Hansen contains these words:

If Hansen was right Wikipedia on the subject would need extensive revision.

"Although losses in the national grid are low, there are significant further losses in onward electricity distribution to the consumer, causing a total distribution loss of about 7.7%.[6] However losses differ significantly for customers connected at different voltages; connected at high voltage the grid losses are about 2.6%, at medium voltage 6.4% and at low voltage 12.2%.[7]"

Reply to
Roger

You do know that the wind makes *no* noise.

Reply to
dennis

In message , at 19:45:48 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

I still can't imagine how you wade around in 18 inches of fibreglass, and also store things on the 3 inch rafters.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 18:55:12 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, David Hansen remarked:

Sounds just like the stucco finish I'm familiar with in the USA. Falls apart after about 10 years and makes a house virtually unsaleable.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 19:35:51 on Sun, 9 Mar

2008, "dennis@home" remarked:

I didn't buy that plan because it was clearly green-wash.

A good question.

I was under the impression they had a surplus of Nuclear.

Not very much, but it seems implausible that anyone would bother. But we'll have to do that sort of thing, in spades, if there's a lot of wind power in the mix.

Reply to
Roland Perry

The message from "dennis@home" contains these words:

IIRC open fires ar 10% - 15% efficient at best. Enclosed stoves circa 40%.

Reply to
Roger

In message , at 17:54:52 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

Even if my heating bill was zero, the payback doesn't make sense for me considering the cost and upheaval.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Well storing thing on 3" rafters is generally an error & if you want a warm roof you stick the insulation between the Purlins.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

US craftsmanship must be pretty awfull then it's a fairly common technique, see a lot of white houses in the fens or the front of The ADC theatre

Reply to
Duncan Wood