The reasons why windmills wont work...

There's an alternative to that. I watched an old Grand Designs the other night, the Bournemouth one on top of a block of flats. In the copper dome they used some stuff developed by NASA which consists of layers of foil and other materials which is ~1" thick and as efficient as a lot of fibreglass. Don't know what it's called, or how its cost compares with f/g but perhaps worth a look.

Paul

Reply to
PaulB

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 15:28:14 +0000 someone who may be Roland Perry wrote this:-

What people tend to do is add external insulation, except where this would alter the appearance too much.

Insulation can be added under the boards. It doesn't prevent as much heat loss as loft insulation, but every little helps.

Note the price of electricity and compare it to that of the fuel you use to heat the house. I suspect that electricity is very much more expensive.

Also note that little of the heat in a fuel is turned into electricity in a power station and some of that heat is then lost in sending the electricity to your house. Burning a fuel in your house is going to have far lower carbon dioxide emissions.

Reply to
David Hansen

Any alternative will have to be something with better insulating qualities than the usual glass fibre ... at a sane price. I'm sure you've got plenty of choice of better insulators, but I'm not sure that any of them are priced competitively, or they would be widely known and used.

Reply to
Tim Ward

In message , at 15:49:08 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, David Hansen remarked:

It's impractical for the situation Tim described. Do "most" people want to store things in their attic. I have no idea. Do you have any statistics on that?

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 15:56:21 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, David Hansen remarked:

Do they sell external insulation with a brick pattern on it?

I don't want to take the boars up specially, but I suppose it's something to think about if they had to come up anyway.

It's about three times the price at the meter, then there's the boiler efficiency. As a second order effect I'm not too worried about it.

What if I'm on a hydro-only electricity plan?

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 15:56:03 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Tim Ward remarked:

They heat my loft conversion :)

Reply to
Roland Perry

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 15:03:40 +0000 someone who may be Roland Perry wrote this:-

Should the vast majority of the general public wish to find out about such things then they should quickly find that wind turbines are placed on foundations. The antis make much of this.

Very strange. I have visited a number of pretty small wind turbines and never observed a problem.

Nice try. However, that criteria was to do with the other observations I mentioned. The point about being able to hold a conversation in a normal voice is that it gives the truth about claims of noise made by the antis. It is also in contrast to many other types of electricity generation, where one cannot hold such a conversation in all parts of the plant.

Reply to
David Hansen

I read that carbon-wise we use 3kW per head burnt elsewhere on our behalf for imported stuff.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Schneider

You must live VERY far north for it to be dark all day ...

And we wouldn't be able to bear the heating on all day even when it's at its coldest - but we're not sitting all day and in winter we wear more clothes than in summer.

The idea of either of the latter is abominable!

Only the light and heat on all day. Not only surprising, it's unnecessary.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You mean cheap?

Set the cost against the (increasing) cost of fuel and it becomes more competitive.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Spouse insists on turning off those and anything with a transformer when we're away - not to save energy but to save the appliance. I don't know enough about it so don't shout at me :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Today we've had no heating on at all - except that a very low light hob is rendering bones from the pig we butchered yesterday to usable stock and meat. It's surprising how warm it's made the kitchen - of course it's a very big pan so it acts as a storage heater. Too warm for me in there now but I have to go in and make dinner. I'll have to remove my (cotton) sweat shirt.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That was my experience some years ago on Ogden Moor - the wind itself was the loudest noise.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And how do you know that?

I think it's a good criterion, it certainly isn't true of busy dual carriageways (and many singles at peak time).

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I doubt that they're unsaleable.

Gosh, when travelling into London (by road) from the north and no doubt other places one sees hundreds of houses subjectd to constant road noise and exhaust emissions but they all seem to be occupied.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , at 16:56:27 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Mary Fisher remarked:

In the winter it's dark enough to require lights on during the working day, which is what I'm talking about. How many offices have their lights off during the working day in winter?

Having the heating on doesn't mean it's getting hotter and hotter. There are thermostatic valves on the radiators. However, without any heating on between 8am and 6pm it would be too cold to work in the house. How many offices have no heating on during the working day?

Moderation in all things. I'm certainly not going to sit at my computer in an overcoat, but neither am I expecting it to be warm enough for just shirtsleeves.

How do most office people eat lunch? Do they really go home and use the fuel there?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Is your ventilation to the health and safety buildling regs standard?

If so you are spending three times as much on heating ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

polyisocyanurate foam otherwise known as celotex, kingspan, etc.

twice a good as rockwool for a given thickness.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

about 27-40% depending on design..is that 'little"? \

less than 5% worst case.

Slightly lower. Depending on your boiler. An open fire is far WORSE for example.

Still maths isn't your stromg point is it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 16:24:06 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, David Hansen remarked:

10/10 for that swerve. "Being able to find out" is not the same as "knowing".

Rightly so. Concrete is a very polluting material.

Our mileages obviously vary.

But it's only wind turbines that we are being asked to have every hundred yards, not the "other" plants. Nor do most people often go inside those "other" plants, in order to hold a conversation, or otherwise.

Reply to
Roland Perry