The reasons why windmills wont work...

Yes and as I said that is a very small amount, the rest is as I said.

Reply to
dennis

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 23:18:54 GMT, had this to say:

I really can't see any point in BST or whatever. Why not just stick to GMT and alter the time you do things like going to/returning from school/work/etc? There's nothing set in stone that schools, for example, have to start at 9·00am (or 8·40am in our case!).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , at 22:01:39 on Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Roger remarked:

>Makes one wonder about the supposed advantages of private enterprise

I'm suspicious of the claim that the extra "bill" for £4,000 for lighting that stretch of road would be sent to the maintenance company. Is the consumption of streetlights really metered in that way?

Reply to
Roland Perry

>>> Makes one wonder about the supposed advantages of private enterprise

No, it's done on estimated load and usage, there's a slight argument at the moment since the estimated loads turn out to be lower than the actual ones.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , at 07:39:17 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

That's what I thought. Many of the propositions in that news story are a bit daft [1].

In a way, the money (whoever pays, sounds like it's the electricity company) is insurance against the huge costs of dealing with an accident caused by that stretch of road being unexpectedly unlit.

[1] "Experts at multiplying by four say £4,000 is equivalent to four years worth of £1,000 bills". (In fact £1000 is the average of the combined gas and electric bill for a home).
Reply to
Roland Perry

But no one is bothered by waste that you simply store for a year and then its not radioacative anymore ere they?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"passeth mortal understanding" Dunno. Maybe they have a lot of windmills or TV masts that need your attention

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh come on.. They will just say 'it was due to excessive speeding' and everyone will take it as gospel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

about 1KW per head of population. Or 3KW of total energy usage.

You can compare that with your domestic usage and see just how much is used in keeping the country running on your behalf (allegedly)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wait till you have a valley full and you get subsonic resonances.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Radio actually.

Two man job one to do the work .. another to look after what's in the wagon;(.....

Reply to
tony sayer

WTF have windmills got to do with it? They worked just fine for many years.

They are a good way of turning grain into flour. That's what the mill bit means.

A rant is more effective when aimed at the correct target.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

In message , at 09:34:32 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

If the average bill is £1000 for gas and electricity, and that's split half and half (mine is, roughly) then using the rule of thumb of 10p per KWH, that's 5,000 KWH per year or 14 per day. The load will depend on how evenly that's split across the day (and the year), of course. I'm sure our household regularly peaks at a couple of dozen KW.

Reply to
Roland Perry

WHAT???

Someone must be using a heck of a lot of both!

Assuming you mean the annual bill ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Me too. In fact our clock (the only one we use in this house) is never changed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeed.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Our last 12 months totals £1720 or so...well insulated, efficient boiler, etc. Most of that is electricity.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Just looked at last year's - £673 total. Well insulated, efficient boiler, most of the electricity is used for welding and other tools, most of the gas is used for cooking.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Which just proves that we use more fuel than you.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , at 10:29:17 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Mary Fisher remarked:

Yes, that's the average annual bill.

Reply to
Roland Perry