The reasons why windmills wont work...

My roof-space is like that, and it's *exactly* as difficult to walk around or store things in as is suggested. Indeed, we do not store anything in it, and I go up there as rarely as possible.

Reply to
Huge

..and wind turbines..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 11:14:50 on Mon, 10 Mar

2008, Huge remarked:

I had such a roofspace and from the loft hatch there was a clear (but narrow) run to both sets of eaves, which was plenty of room to store several dozen cardboard boxes. Moving sideways past the truss to the next clear run involved stepping through a "gap", inconvenient but not impossible.

Reply to
Roland Perry

But that wasn't the spur for unsaleable houses, was it?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Rather like saying bullets don't kill people unless they interact with them...

Reply to
Chris Shore

In message , at 12:16:12 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Mary Fisher remarked:

I mentioned how stucco finish tended to make houses in the USA unsaleable. It's what's under the stucco that matters, of course. Stucco on brick or other solid material is OK, it's putting it on top of stuff like insulation boarding that's likely not to be very robust long term.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In a plain rectangular ticky - tacky Barrack or Wimpley House maybe.

Normally in a spec built house they are calculated to be be just strong enough to hold the weight of the ceiling beneath (plus a safety margin).

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

In message , at 12:34:43 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Derek Geldard remarked:

Are you suggesting they are harder to walk around in a more expensively built house?

My storage needs are mainly empty cardboard boxes, empty suitcases etc.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 12:29:08 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Chris Shore remarked:

Of course bullets don't kill people. It's the damage they cause to the person which does.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I've not seen many timber framed houses round here. Have you seen any failures in the Uk?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You use the semirigid sprung board in between the purlins, if your roof's full of boxes then you get rather good insulation.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

No. Strong enough to hold the weight of the roof above. The ceiling is a by product of that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I read that and thought the same thing... my husband's a (Cambridge) trained engineer and hasn't done what I'd call engineering i.e. designing/building/making stuff ;-) since the mid '70s.

Reply to
magwitch

Not here yet.

But the insulaton is INSIDE.

And its sratight render, not stucco.

I've got stucco (Tyrolean?)over block for the garage. Thats about 30 years old. Its fine. Probably the issue is an unstable subtrate over which it is applied.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They dont.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No dear. Do try and keep up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And bullets need guns, and guns need people to fire them

I think the bullet is unfairly discriminated against, personally.

What about its human rights?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Often not, it depends on the span, but the weight of the ceiling can be significant in determining the sizing.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

& a totally different structure design, most UK houses wit stucoo on insulation or not are still block walled.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Chickens ok but inner city bylaws allow people to keep pigs??? That's a new one... unless you live in Bangkok or somewhere of course.

If you mean inner city Cambridge the b/g 16 hour average decibel is 69.8 dB.

louder than here where we are used to near 0 dB.

Reply to
magwitch