The moving of the shed

This morning I emptied the shed, which took some time despite me previously clearing out most of the crap which only had a *very* minimal chance of ever being useful. I expect I'll need this stuff soon. The fixing plates in the corner were unbloted (that was a typo, but I like it), and a tentative lift in each corner revealed the lightness of a metal shed.

I'd arranged for son to attend at 3pm to assist if things went terribly wrong and I set-to with the trolley jack and an improvised timber beam to support as much of the inside of the roof as possible. A few pumps of the jack and the shed was aloft! No woosie tape measure to find centre and no wucking furries! Gentle tilting of the support's upright enabled me to gradually turn the entire shed in the graceful manner I had predicted. Apart from the odd gust of wind making things interesting occasionally.

If I'd had sufficient clearance on all sides it would have worked a treat but as it was I had to stop after about 20 degrees because of the shed/fence/pear tree interface and wait for son. And carefully hack lumps off the pear tree. When he turned up, at nearly 4 (!), we easily lifted the shed between us and managed to rotate it the other 70 degrees into its new position.

No disasters, no meccano origami, nuffin.

Sorry.

If you want to move a metal shed, go for it!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

The shed I'm assembling today takes two people just to lift one of the wall sections and that is a bit of a struggle.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , "Nightjar "@?.?.invalid> writes

Oh, willy waving is it?

My barn framing will be 15'x6' in Oak. 8off! I am considering calling for volunteers from the group for an American style *barn raising*:-)

Hopefully they can all be positioned with the fork lift.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes, I understand some men are weak as kittens...

;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Nah. That would be the next shed. This one is only for storing low value stuff. The next one is more like a small industrial building, with a steel security door.

The volunteers?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Would they be sufficiently sober to remain where put?

Actually I have a cunning plan to fit temporary bracing such that the load can be lifted using inverted forks under the middle of the top plate. Otherwise the fork mounting frame will make serious holes in the roof.

The estimated weight of each section is about 250kg so not beyond half a rugby team.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hire one with a mast that only starts to rise when the forks reach the top of the closed mast? I had to buy one with that feature to work inside a building.

I know, from experience, that 10 people are enough to lift an original model Mini, so you are probably right.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , "Nightjar "@?.?.invalid> writes

Free lift mast. I have one (masted Manitou). The problem is the *L* shape of the forks. Turning them over gives *¬*.

You have just reminded me of the occasion the school drama group lifted the headmaster's Morris 1000 traveller and placed it on 4 upturned dustbins:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The forks on mine were hung on cross-bars, so putting them upsidedown would just have resulted in them falling off. When I had a problem with the fork uprights being too high - found when the operator (not me) removed some of the factory lighting - I had to use a stack of pallets to raise the effective height.

We were simply rescuing a friend's car after he had gone straight on at a right hand bend in the depths of Scotland.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , "Nightjar "@?.?.invalid> writes

Agriculture steps ahead:-)

Apart from specially made (expensive) hooks, how else would one unload big bags of seed corn or fertiliser from curtain sided delivery wagons.

The Manitou forks are *trapped* on the cross rails with reversed flanges. This means they can only be fitted by being slid on the rail ends. This is a job for the other half of the rugby team.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb