Shed rotation

At some point in the near future I plan to rotate a Shedmaster 8'x7' metal shed 90 degrees by building a double-ended wooden crucifix, placing this up against the interior roof ribs, jacking the whole thing up on a fence post atop my 2 tonne trolley jack, and deftly spinning it round after gently persuading it a few inches away from the wooden shed it almost butts up against currently.
Chances of success?
Si
On Sat, 29 May 2010 18:35:53 +0100, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Well there's definitely a chance of success. What would be kinda neat is if you video'd it or had a time lapse running.

I'll see what I can do, though your request does indicate somewhat that you believe my cunning plan to be destined to failure, and that you're merely encouraging me to go for it anyway, for the lolz.
Si
On Sat, 29 May 2010 18:52:08 +0100, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I wouldn't like to say, not having seen the shed. The one thing I would remind you is that sheds are designed and built to have the roof and rafters under compression - i.e. weight bearing down on them. The fasteners may not expect to have loads hanging off them instead. I guess you're planning on building the footings out a foot before rotation so that the repositioned shed has a firm foundation?

Ho yus.
Si

Oh, there's also a 10' pear tree slightly in the way of the rotation, which will be persuaded to move out of the way temporarily by wrapping a sheet round it and pulling it away with a rope attached to a nearby solid thing.
A tree under tension and a big metal shed rotating on a Halfords jack. What could possibly go wrong?
Si
On 29 May, 18:56, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"

Is there a poorly attached gable end wall with a person-size upper window, that might fall whilst hinging along the bottom edge?

Unfortunately not. Now *that* would make a good video.
Si

It could all go pear shaped............
--
The man who smiles when things go wrong has
thought of someone to blame it on.
On 29 May, 18:56, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote:

High winds?
You forget to disconnect the electric cable?
It's 6 ft in the air and someone opens the door from inside?
High voltage cables overhead?
Owain
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"

Make sure there's a vidcam trained on it.

Yes please:-)
As a child, I was hugely entertained by circus performers twiddling plates on the top of long sticks. I foresee a calamity as your shed will not be rotating fast enough to acquire any gyroscopic stability and the likelihood of pointing your lifting post at the exact centre of mass seems remote.
You haven't mentioned the ground surface? I suppose if it were level concrete or paved you could insert some short lengths of scaffold pole to act as rollers.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

A raised (about 4") wooden base with a floorboards floor. Only *slightly* springy.
Really quite windy today...
Si
On 29 May, 18:35, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"

10 will get you 3 that something will go horribly wrong. Keep the video going though.
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Have you allocated the job an HBS [1] number?
Are you going to become Mungo "One Shed" Toadfoot?
[1] Hare Brained Scheme.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I have every confidence.
No, I have *some* confidence.
Well, in my mind it will be a lovely graceful affair, the shed rotating beautifully and smoothly, not dissimilar to the launching of a new luxury liner. Only around, not sideways, IYSWIM.
Um...
Si
On 30/05/2010 11:03, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote: <>

And I have a beautiful image of a shed rotating, smoothly, even majestically, in order orient with respect to the sun. Designed to allow brightness and light but with the ability to turn away from direct sun.
Shame we haven't really got the location for it as the design is quite advanced in my mind. Maybe one day...
--
Rod

XXXL lazy Susan? I like it!
Si
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

The chap who did the metal pigeon-step staircase and sliding glass roof on Grand Designs started out with a rotating shed in his parents garden (mounted on a car wheel bearing IIRC).
p.s. according to Wikipedia he was in Four Weddings and a Funeral, IMDB doesn't seem to back that up though.
wrote in message

Clever buggers rarely get the recognition they deserve.
Si