Obscure glass + planning

We are about to have the existing front door and glazed side panels replaced and are thinking of having clear rather than obscure glass fitted. The design is simple, just large panes of glass with the minimum of framing. Looking around at examples online, all front doors appear to be fitted with obscure glass. I appreciate that many people are concerned about privacy, particularly if their doors are near the road, but our frontage is at least 20 metres back from the road and we have a reasonable front garden and row of mature trees and shrubs between the door and the road. I see from a quick search that there appear to be planning requirements for the use of obscure glazing for bathrooms etc and some side facing windows - is anybody aware of such a constraint for front facing doors?

Reply to
rbel

I don't think so. If you're not over-looking anybody, there shouldn't be a privacy issue - other than allowing other people to see *in*, which you're clearly not worried about.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thank you. In retrospect I cannot see why there should be any restrictions as clear glass is the norm in windows on the front of a property. It was the reference to obscure glass in side facing windows in some planning decisions that triggered my query.

Reply to
rbel

The only thing I'd say is not so much a planning or even privacy issue, more a security one. We've just had a new front door (almost all glazed, with just the centre bar that the letter box is in unglazed) and side panel fitted, all obscured glass. However, whether you're 5 feet away or 20 metres away from the road, people can still see the mail/newspaper/unsolicited flyers sitting there behind the glass door. OK while you're in the house but, if you go away for four or five weeks holiday as we do, lots of mail piled up is a dead giveaway.

Luckily, our next-door neighbour comes in, clears the mail and shuts the curtains every night though.

Reply to
John

A deterrent to walking about in the buff!

Reply to
1501

.A deterrent to walking about in the buff!

Quite the reverse to some types.

Reply to
Tinkerer

We are not planning to have a letter box in the new front entrance setup. The current idea is to have one fitted in the kitchen exterior door (which is also on the front elevation) this has a solid panel in the lower half of the door which will hide the mail etc. It is also slightly nearer the drive so the postie will be pleased.

Reply to
rbel

A small price to pay for opening up the view of the front garden!

Reply to
rbel