Obscure glass

The recent relaxation of loft conversion permitted development stipulates the requirement for side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed.

Is there a definition for the required degree of obscurity? Also, which way is it supposed to work? Can I fit one-way glass so that nobody can see in?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Drury

The glass only has be obscured if it faces adjacent neighbouring dwellings at a certain distance. It's to stop you both perving at each other. It was argued that blinds or curtains would also obscure the window from peeping in, but the argument was lost when the lawyers asked " And what about you looking out through the curtains". :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

More than likely specified so you can't peer out, rather than worrying about others peering at you!

Doesn't "one way" glass only work when the side to be observed is bright and the side you are observing from is dark?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just put a CCTV outside instead. Everyone else does. ;-)

yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm missing some thing here. What's so special about a window in a loft conversion compared with a window elsewhere in the house wrt Peeping Tomery.

Reply to
Graham.

Do you happen to know where the distance is defined?

Locally, when planning is involved, the distance where obscured glass is stipulated can be over one hundred feet.

In this instance planning will not be involved therefore I simply have to identify and meet the statutory requirement. But where is it defined?

Reply to
Brian Drury

It would be better going to your local authority web site and have a look at their planning formats. I thought there was a standard somewhere, something like 72 feet (22 metres), but I think different regions have their own principal of calculation. I also recall somewhere has it at the same distance for the eyesight test for a driving license at 65 feet (20 metres), but that has probably changed as well now.

You can buy a frosted film to cover the glass, which creates the desired effect. I suppose it could be removed after consent has been granted on the refurb'.

Reply to
BigWallop

Nothing, but they would impose the same restriction if a planning application was made for any other development, so it isn't being treated any differently, this way it just comes along with the deemed consent.

Reply to
boltmail