Location Of Electric Storage Heaters

I have been taking down curtain tracks, blinds etc. in preparation for decorating in a new (to me) house. It's one of twenty in an English Courtyard development.

My brain has probably slowed down a bit but I've just realised that although everybody has curtains nobody draws them - they pull down blinds instead. I think I've twigged why. We are all electric and the storage heaters have all been located under the (double glazed) windows, where you'd normally put radiators. The heaters all come with dire warnings about not covering them and keeping curtains at least 3" away.

So, although we are required by our leases to fit curtains none of us can use them, in winter at least.

Is it usual to put storage heaters directly under the windows? I seem to have a choice between moving them or not using my curtains.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Assuming you can't get rid of them altogether and install a proper heating system . .

There's no reason why thy need to be under windows - put them where you like. They probably installed them under windows by default so as not to take up wall space where you might want to put taller items of furniture.

Reply to
Roger Mills

There is that but the main reason for putting heating devices under windows rather than elsewhere in a room is to reduce the setting up of circulating airflows in the room. Warm air from the heating device rises, cold air from the window sinks, have those opposite each other and there will be a helluva cold draft across the floor.

As for curtains, I wouldn't pull full length curtains over a storage heater but ones stopping the regulation 3" (or closer down to an inch clearance) I can't see there being much or a problem. What that would look like depends how far below the window cill the top of the heater is.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice