The Inspector Calls - Part P

Drop me an email, I have a PDF that you can have.

Reply to
John Rumm

No more than he an produce a reference to back his claims up. It is one if his rules not an electrical reg rule.

Maybe a compromise can be reached that keeps everyone happy such as a fused spur in a cupboard such as

the fused spur will be at the front of the cupboard it should be easy to claim that isolation is easy.

I would say it is up to the customer to decide where they want to put there switches and sockets (within reason!)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's fair enough. Often its better going back to an discussion when you have had chance to check details anyway.

Sounds like the "Electrcians guide to the building regs" - I have copy here and can scan the relevant pages if you like. However the wording is the same as in the OSG. The only thing it really adds is a nice diagram showing installation of the isolator.

Soon fixed ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I believe that that is the correct approach to take.

Now 17th OSG pg 160 8.2.5 Permanently connected equipment does not specify where the switch need be other than locally.

I would consider an adjacent cupboard to be local.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The big snag is those using the kitchen may not remember what or where that isolator is in event of a fault. For servicing, it is better to have a plug and socket.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

10mA was (MK), but not seen for years. 15mA wasn't a standard UK rating. I would not fit an RCD outside if it can be avoided. A sensitive electronic circuit and the possibility of condensation is not a combination which is likely to give a long reliable life.

There is no point daisy-chaining RCDs in this case.

I have a dedicated outdoor socket circuit, which is on a 10mA RCBO (and TT earthed, although rest of house is TN-C-S). This circuit has never tripped, except when tested.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That could do with being added to the wiki, to explain the situation. Do you want to? Or do you mind someone else adding it?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I don't mind per se - but some caution would be advised.

Adam's statements are the correct approach and where possible it is better to do things the prescribed way.

My take is that it is not worth getting too hung up on crossing mains and cat-x *used for ethernet* if getting the prescribed seperation is not practical because in any practical scenario you can abuse twisted pair ethernet to hell and back and largely get away with it - and there is very little practical danger either.

However, cat-x can be used to carry all manner of signals including telephony and in these cases it can matter rather more - in particular one of the BS on telephones prescribes the seperation factor quite precisely (2"/50mm IIRC).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's more because telephone cables can carry extraneous voltages into the building. I've seen telephone cables vapourised, leaving only a dark mark across the wall where they'd been.

Reply to
<me9

While on Cat-x. Is there a cable available for external work that will be in direct sunlight? Cat-x or TV aerial stuff will do.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I believe there is a UV cat-x - can't put my finder on it but it is safe to assume it will be black!

Googling for "UV Cat-5(e)" might turn up something.

Reply to
Tim Watts

how about

Martin Warby