Lidl DIY stuff

Lidl offers from Thurs 24th March;

Planer Angle grinder. Angle grinder stand Cable reel. Digital caliper Riveter Abrasives Diamond sharpening system

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, saw those - pretty good selection.

I don't quite understand how the diamond sharpener works - anyone got one from previous occasions when they've been on offer?

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's handy - just in time for mothers day (I wonder if they planned it?). Only question is whether to get her the digital calipers or the angle grinder stand. Better avoid buying anything sharp ;)

Reply to
pete

I have their Planer from about 10 years ago, still working well. Their Angle grinder stand is also handy. I have one with a cheap angle grinder permanently mounted on it. Its great for occasional cut off jobs. I find the very thin cut off disks last much longer when held firmly square to the job as well.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

It's just like a flat whetstone, only with diamonds. The pattern is just to allow dross to clear and to reduce the cost.

They're very good.

Reply to
Skipweasel

You use them like an oil stone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Including the oil - or do you use them dry?

Reply to
Roger Mills

For wood chisels, use it like you would with an oil stone, but without the oil.

In the past I have struggled to put an edge on kitchen knives and use one now, by holding the knife and drawing the stone across it from back to cutting edge.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

IME the trouble with the cheap diamond sharpeners ones is that the steel on which the diamonds are ... encrusted(!?) is (a) not very flat, and (b) prone to flex. This makes them fine for quick and dirty cleaning up of an old chisel, say, but less good for precision sharpening, or for sharpening a wide plane blade. YMMV

J^n

Reply to
Jon Nicoll

The ones I have use water.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I may have been lucky. Then again I also glued them firmly down to a nice flat bit of machined slate.

Reply to
Skipweasel

square to the job as well.

I must have a very steady hand, then. I've used loads cutting up big gas bottles and not found they wear any faster hand-held. They are very very good, though - particularly the 0.8mm sort. They cut so quickly.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Water.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Thanks.

Another question, if I may. This time, about the angle grinder stand . . .

Will it fit any 4 1/2" angle grinder - e.g. my Bosch jobbie - or only the one supplied by Lidl?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I bought one a few years ago & fitted a Homebase Chinese jobby, so I'd guess its universal. It had loads of adjustable bits.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have an el cheapo Red Devil on mine.

Mike