Actual DIY Q :-D

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen and wil l also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the compresse d wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of buying a new ji gsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit past it's best .
So any advice, I wont be doing much more with it there seems to be a few fr om £50 to £100 don't want to pay much more.
Either 240V or cordless.
any favourites makes/models from B&Q, screwfix, argos, ITS or aldi are all close to me
whisky-dave wrote:

Though I've done worktops with a jigsaw, it's not the ideal tool, shallow blade can wander easily, and can get flex so the bottom of the cut isn't inline with the top.
Having a 1/2" router I'd use that, but without one I think I'd drop back to a circ saw, rather than jigsaw.
with either a circ saw, or a jigsaw if you stick with plan A, think about tooth cutting direction on the melamine surface, and flip/rotate worktop accordingly, apply masking tape too.
On 26/03/2018 17:12, Andy Burns wrote:

For jigsaws you can get down-stroke blades or special laminate blades BUT make sure that blade length/depth of cut is adequate for a worktop.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-a-85715-b19-jigsaw-blades-65mm-5-pack/4021r
https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-b-10970-b53-laminate-jigsaw-blades-5-pack/6172r
I used the latter type blades when fitting my worktop and they worked well cutting from the laminate side after first taping the surface. They fit a variety of jigsaw makes but check which blades you can get for the jigsaw you buy.
As stated, with a jig saw the bottom of the cut may not be inline with the top but it possibly doesn't matter that much if this cut is going to be against a wall. In this case its probably better to cut from the top as this is the edge surface that will be seen. It's not two much of a problem when cutting holes for sinks or hobs as the cut edge will be totally hidden.
I used a jigsaw on my worktop but both ends abutted a wall. I wouldn't use a jigsaw if the cut edge will be seen.
Also if the jig saw orbital action can be disabled - do so. A quick explanation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
J_6bsyrhk
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

I was going to say, tape is very much needed as the laminate surface is brittle. I used a black and decker jig saw back in the 70s with good effect to do this kind of stuff, but its not that quick and you need a lot of concentration. Oh and usually at least one other pair of willing hands to support the bits being cut off to stop it splintering even with the tape. Brian
--
----- -
On 26/03/2018 16:39, whisky-dave wrote:

Have you any other cordless devices which might share batteries? You might find a cordless more convenient for the flooring.
As another poster said, jigsaw is the wrong tool for worktop (unless you *have* to make a curved cut). Sort of assuming you don't have a router.
Worth checking Aldi/Lidl for jigsaws, either mains or cordless.
Worth having pendulum/orbital motion.
Here's a reasonably cheap cordless with what looks like a decent battery
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VonHaus-Cordless-Jigsaw-2-0Ah-Li-ion-20V-MAX-Battery-Charger-Power-Tool-Bag/273111400648?epid 016622663&hash=item3f96b540c8:g:QlIAAOSwklBaqoS6
I always used to think a jigsaw was something that it was worth paying a bit more for a known brand. But TBH I've been impressed by the improving quality of no-name Chinese stuff.
FWIW I have one of these, and it is pretty good.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)22086073&sr=8-6&keywords=cordless+jigsaw
newshound wrote:

I have a Makita 4351, I like its unconventional shape in the hand, when using it on 15mm oak flooring, you'd swear the edge has been planed, not cut with a jigsaw - a very different tool from the knockabout B&Q one it replaced.
On 26/03/2018 18:52, Andy Burns wrote:

How is "orbital" motion different to pendulum? Does it really move the axis in an orbit rather than just tilt it back and forward? Is this why it gives such a good cut?
I love Makita kit, but this is probably a bit expensive for the OP's needs.
On 26/03/2018 20:29, newshound wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
J_6bsyrhk
I also have a Makita 4350T and it has 4 settings, one pendulum and three orbital
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Monday, 26 March 2018 18:52:21 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid22086073&sr=8-6&keywords=cordless+jigsaw

Think I'll, pass on the first ooption at £1k !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/331770041895?clk_rvr_id 80098533259&vect orid"9508&lgeo=1&item31770041895&rmvSB=true
On Monday, 26 March 2018 18:42:34 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the compr essed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of buying a ne w jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit past it's best.

w from £50 to £100 don't want to pay much more.

all close to me

attery-Charger-Power-Tool-Bag/273111400648?epid016622663&hash=item3f 96b540c8:g:QlIAAOSwklBaqoS6

=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid22086073&sr=8-6&keywords=cordless+jigsaw
I was considering this one https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-750w-220-240v-4-stage-pendulum -action-jigsaw-mejs750/587918_BQ.prd
whisky-dave wrote:

Is it much different from your existing B&Q jigsaw? My old B&Q one didn't die, I've kept it around so I won't use the new one for any rough jobs.
On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 11:11:23 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

Well my existing one was lent to a friend who returned it after using it to cut marine ply, it came back with the box wet, soaked in oil and canal wat er (if I'm lucky) and the actual jigsaw smelt funny although it seemed to w ork when powered on from a distance.
I'll check to see what model number it is, but on checking my records I st arted doing my kitchen in may 2006, I still have the same fridge & freezer too, which need replacing So I think I can treat myself to a new toy as I've decided I really don't n eed a iMac Pro at the moment.
On 27/03/2018 10:59, whisky-dave wrote:

Typical best jigsaws for a journalist review but which way does the Bosch model cut?
http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/outdoor-activity/10-best-jigsaws-10219608.html
(3rd jigsaw on that page)
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

My rule of thumb is you tend to get rather better power tools for the money from Lidl/Aldi than the shed own brands. But you may not be able to get what you want immediately.
--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 13:31:02 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

ulum-action-jigsaw-mejs750/587918_BQ.prd

Yes which is why I'm looking around now see what's about, as soon as term e nds I can start taking days off and can have a few in a row without worryin g about cover. I can take my cat for her boosters and arrange for npower to look at my meter as it's not been looked at for 2 years !. I might even ge t my landline fixed.

Do be sure your laminate flooring is suitable for a kitchen, for a start. And must admit to finding a chop saw more use for laminate flooring than a jigsaw, since it gives accurate cuts. But realise you may not have space (or much other uses) for one.

I have a mains Bosch which is ages old but still good. But since it's not a tool I used a vast amount the cordless one I got from Lidl has mainly replaced it. Important to have easy to change blades IMHO.
--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Got lots of curves in your rooms?
--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 00:44:44 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

ever fitted any flooring ??

Yes, but properly. I'll leave the bodging to others.
--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 23:42:09 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

so the cuts i do with a jigsaw you would use a chopsaw?
u pompous tosser