Actual DIY Q :-D

Yes which is why I'm looking around now see what's about, as soon as term e nds I can start taking days off and can have a few in a row without worryin g about cover. I can take my cat for her boosters and arrange for npower to look at my meter as it's not been looked at for 2 years !. I might even ge t my landline fixed.

Reply to
whisky-dave

nd will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the com pressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit past it' s best.

few from £50 to £100 don't want to pay much more.

e all close to me

. A circular saw is way more useful.

it so the heat from the fridge & freezer can escape from the back. I was th inking of the castle battlement shape at the back, or a few triangles which would avoid the obvious cutting problem.

A circular can do that very easily. A jigsaw can do it badly.

oing to be a mitre saw. And for a worktop a router - you could get by with a circular if necessary.

or in my bathroom with the £10 jigsaw I got from B&Q, for the worktops it took a few too many teabreaks per cut but I got there in the end :-D, j ust thought a better jigsaw would be the best option.

that being the best option is about as likely as some of your electronic id eas.

ld chairs and a few G-clamps as a workmate.

ruclar saws cut kitchen worktops.

Enjoy your new found poor choice tool. It should get you there, but slowly & the result will be crap. It won't be anywhere near as useful for future j obs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I was going to say, tape is very much needed as the laminate surface is brittle. I used a black and decker jig saw back in the 70s with good effect to do this kind of stuff, but its not that quick and you need a lot of concentration. Oh and usually at least one other pair of willing hands to support the bits being cut off to stop it splintering even with the tape. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

As others have said: a jigsaw is not good in thick materials because the blade bends, especially if you are following a fence. I've sometimes rough cut with a jigsaw but have always finished with a 1/2" router and a long cutter. If you don't want to buy the correct tool for the job then why not hire?

Reply to
nothanks

ever fitted any flooring ??

Reply to
humphrey

because it's as expensive as buying.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So true, unfortunately!

Reply to
GB

You'd actually cut laminate flooring round those things, would you?

Certainly not a bodge like that. Remove everything so it goes underneath, including skirting. Door frames can be notched with a multi-tool. But then I'm talking about decent quality engineered wood - not a lino substitute.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but properly. I'll leave the bodging to others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

total bollocks ime

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

so the cuts i do with a jigsaw you would use a chopsaw?

u pompous tosser

Reply to
humphrey

For the first time this century I agree with Mr Plowman.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I didn't need a jigsaw when doing either of the two rooms I've done with wood flooring.

A standard bodger reply.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I never said that. You've just made it up.

I've seen lots of laminate flooring with that badly fitted border round the edge. I'm sure that suits the like of you, but not me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I looked into hiring a 9" angle grinder and diamond blade over a weekend. Cost pretty well the same as buying from Lidl. But being London, hiring may be more expensive here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the compr essed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of buying a ne w jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit past it's best.

w from £50 to £100 don't want to pay much more.

all close to me

I know someone that works for machinemart, but I don't know when I want to do the cutting, it could be just after easter of up until late september. I'm suprised no one has suggested buying something then taking it back sayi ng it's unsuitable.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Also, a router is a tool where you learn by bitter experience how easy it is to damage stuff. Especially if you buy a cheap one. You really need a half inch model for worktops, and they are big beasts. If the OP wants to cut in-situ, the router may not fit, but a jigsaw (perhaps followed up with a multi tool) could be OK.

Reply to
newshound

You're pathetic. If you want a list of the tools I've used for that particular job feel free to ask.

But it's rather obvious accurate cutting isn't in your vocabulary.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah. So your jigsaw is the only saw you possess, so had to use it. Why didn't you just say that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So let me see. You possess a chop saw, but would still use a jigsaw to cut floorboards square?

Go and troll elsewhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)