The future of DIY

Although as a general point, the moment you read something is "fortified with vitamins and iron" or something similar, you know it roughly translates as naff all natural nutritional value is left in this product!

Reply to
John Rumm

old story, been doing the rounds since *I* was at university

Reply to
pete

But what is nutritional value? I remember promises we'd all be eating tiny pills in the future, packed with all the vitamins we'd need. Which conveniently forgot all the carbohydrate, protein and fat we need to eat, which is the bulk of food. Cornflakes do fairly well on the former don't they?

Reply to
Clive George

Although corn (maize) has its own peculiarity regarding availability (rather than content):

"The traditional food preparation method of corn (maize), nixtamalization, by native New World cultivators who had domesticated corn required treatment of the grain with lime, an alkali. It has now been shown that the lime treatment makes niacin nutritionally available and reduces the chance of developing pellagra. When corn cultivation was adopted worldwide, this preparation method was not accepted because the benefit was not understood. The original cultivators, often heavily dependent on corn, did not suffer from pellagra. Pellagra became common only when corn became a staple that was eaten without the traditional treatment."

So not just for walls...

Reply to
Rod

Had that with Turbo Ultra St. St. 90mm, even in a (tight) pilot hole!

Reply to
PeterC

All the nutritional value and flavour is concentrated in the bright orange-coloured coating that is sprayed on the corn flakes. It contains sugar, salt, malt and assorted B vitamins.

Without that coating they would be a brownish grey, looking and tasting like cardboard. and not as nutritious.

Apparently there's more fibre in cardboard. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

The original cornflakes supplied.. no vitamins no fibre no taste lots of salt lots of sugar

It was said you would be better off eating the box and its probably true.

Reply to
dennis

I remember reading somewhere that although the human body does need e.g. iron, research hasn't shown that the body can process it in the form in which is a added to foods as "fortification". I forget the source, but as John implies, one is probably better off eating decent stuff that doesn't need the fortification in the first place!

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Way to miss my point. Which would get you the energy for a 10 mile walk, the box or the cornflakes?

Reply to
Clive George

which is why a varied diet is probably more than a balanced one. We have noted that at different times we like different foods.

late autumn we simply stuff ourselves with fats carbohydrates and sugars in the form of stews with root vegetables and dumplings..in summer, carbohydrate drops away, and its all salads and fruit..

I dont eat a lot of veg every day, or fruit, but if I don't get SOME I feel 'wrong'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tim

Goodness yes. I don't know how much the sheepy stuff is, but it must be possible to sell it, with economies of scale, for less than the insane prices B&Q charges for Celotex. I'd be using it in my project if it were more affordable.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

The problem I have with ordering stuff from Screwfix, Toolstation etc. online is the need to be at home to take delivery and sign for things. Awkward when I work 25 miles from home and can't stay in for an approximate or inaccurate delivery date.

My experience with buying timber from anywhere is that I often want to be able to inspect pieces individually - you can buy constructional stuff unseen, but architraves, skirting etc are another matter. If you don't want the twisted, split stuff with knots falling out chucked on the lorry, you need to select it yourself really - that goes for a builder's merchant as much as for B&Q, although with B&Q timber mouldings you can at least guarantee consistency (that is, you know it will be crap). So timber for internal carpentry wouldn't really work for me, online.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Possibly it was for the nativity play market.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I'm sure I saw sheep's wool in my local brach last week at a similar price to the 'other' stuff.

Reply to
<me9

At equally insane prices, you mean? ;-)

The most extreme B&Q price comparison I've experienced was recently when laying a floor. I kicked off with one of their tiny packets of flooring brads, because I was there, then went to a commercial hardware store on a local industrial estate for the rest. B&Q were almost exactly TEN times more expensive. Admittedly theit brads were

60mm rather than 50mm from the other place.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

In North Shields they'd have trouble finding three wise men though.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

If not:

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:28:40 -0800, geraldthehamster wibbled:

Well, it's not really comparable to celotex - sheeps wool has rought the same U value as glass wool (unsurprisingly as both rely on air trapped between fibres to work). PIR (celotex) is about twice as good as wool.

But, sheeps wool seems to retail for a similar price to glass wool, perhaps slightly more expensive. But it never (obviously AFAICS) gets sold as the knock down prices that glass wool can be had almost periodically from B&Q et al.

If I were using wool (I did consider it) I'd use sheeps just because it is pleasant to use rather than crap.

I *thought* you didn't need to ventilate the under sarking space if using wool, but my BCO said I did - 2" air gap. That made me switch to PIR.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:06:09 +0000, Frank Erskine wibbled:

Reply to
Tim Watts

And absolutely no chance of a virgin, either.

Blessed or otherwise. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce