The future of DIY

Just have a few beers. Hops, malt, barley - three of your five a day sorted.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They should maybe do what the clothing mail order companies do and have local couriers who drop things round in the evening or at weekends.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes it's a bit crazy when a fleece has a resale value to the farmer of 50p or under, and £1 or more to shear a sheep.

-
Reply to
Mark

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:42:21 +0000, "Mark" wibbled:

That's because they have to sell it to the Wool Marketing Board (except maybe small farmers?)

You need to cover the cost of shipping the fleece to China to have it cleaned you know...

I like this:

"The British Wool Marketing Board operates a central marketing system for UK fleece wool with the aim of achieving the best possible net returns for farmers."

Think that's one bunch of dinosaurs we would be better off without...

I know... But it might be true!

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:58:29 +0000, Tim Watts wibbled:

Tim Watts

This is an issue internet retailers need to address. I was working outside a house before Xmas & watched a postie trying to delivery small parcels which obviously needed a signature. He didn't seem to be having much luck. We had a chat & he reckoned he failed to deliver 6 - 8 parcles out of 10.

Must be similar with the parcels delivery firms. DHL have sussed it, anything not delivered by the van is taken to a local lady who is paid to deliver it that evening. Trouble is not everyone uses DHL.

I've solved the problem for myself only because I work regularly for a local hotel & can have stuff delivered there for me to pick up. Toolstation & Screwfix will both deliver there because I'm a regular customer, but many internet retailers are wary of delivering to any address not the cardholders.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Even worse with Maplin is that it seems they use the search terms people use on their site to poison and spam google results.

If ye go to their site and search for 'newel post cap', I'll bet then in a couple of days searching google for the same will bring up a link for Maplin, even though they don't actually stock anything that is practically sensible for that search.

If that hypothesis is correct (and here ATM it seems so), then this could be turned into a game.

"The most ridiculous entry that can be entered in google leading to a Maplin link of 'compatible' products."

Reply to
Adrian C

You wouldn't need either for a mere 10 miles.

Reply to
dennis

I'm beginning to side with geoff here...

Reply to
Clive George

Poor you.

You must have missed the point where I said goodness rather than calories. I think there are probably more usable calories in the cornflakes but that doesn't mean its good for you.

Reply to
dennis

If the OP wants to increase the value of the whole DIY market they should put some pressure on our lords and masters to fix the Part P problems.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Well as the main dietary problem seems to be obesity then a product with zero nutritional content is probably better for most people than any "natural" food.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

If you read the boxes, I think you'll find that Special K has more or less the same calories as Corn Flakes. They sell it at a premium price, associating it with weight loss, but the weight loss is down to the skimmed milk and black coffee.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

That's because you didn't say any such thing. Are you getting forgetful? Google may be able to help you, but I doubt it.

I can think of many situations where it does.

Reply to
Clive George

Wouldn't the box be made from wood pulp and therefore largely cellulose? If so then one would have to be some sort of fungus to get at any nutrients.

mark

Reply to
mark

yep £100k+ salaries and final salary pensions, someone is surely getting fleeced. ;(

Reply to
Mark

There are a number of nutrients where "cofactors" are required to metabolise them... IIRC to make use of dietary iron one also needs a quantity of vitamin C much as in the same way to make use of calcium one needs magnesium (which is why the calcium in cows milk is less useful that it would at first appear)

Reply to
John Rumm

I started to play, then realised I no longer see google sponsored results in any searches - Firefox adblocker.

Also M&S - on some websites I get a M&S advert showing things I browsed on the M&S site months ago.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Kelloggs Corn Flakes 372 kcal per 100g, Fat (g) 0.9, saturates (g) 0.2 Kellogs Special K 374 kcal per 100g, Fat (g) 1.5, saturates (g) 0.5

According to Kelloggs UK website just now. So Special K actually has more than twice the saturated fat of Ordinary K.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I read that as:- "... to make use of dietary iron ore..."

Reply to
Frank Erskine