DIY lockdown.

Should I be panic buying stuff for all my jobs for the next 2 months or will Screwfix and others remain open?

Reply to
Pancho

Screwfix and Toolstation remained open during the last lockdown BUT it was almost impossible to buy paint, wallpaper paste or plastering type supplies soon after the previous lockdown started.

Toolsation and Screwfix are still only operating click and collect at their stores. Order on-line and only pick up at the store when you have conformation that your order has been processed. I've found that the confirmation often arrives 15 minutes after ordering (for in stock items)

Places such as B&Q on-line would still deliver but stocks of plasterboard and paint soon ran out and delivery slots were often 2 to 3 weeks in the future.

Ebay prices for many DIY supplies trebled in price as the lock-down hit and many attempting to DIY during their enforced break at home try to source materials.

Reply to
alan_m

No need to panic buy at Screwfix and Toolstation, they remained open during the Spring lockdown with click & collect. No reason they will not do the same this time. Our local Screwfix even has counter service even though we were about to move from Tier 2 to 3.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I'm not sure this lockdown will cause as much panic buying as the first one.

I've just booked my Tesco delivery for the week. Normally have to do this two days before the delivery day I want. And that was the case today - so booked it for my normal day which is Friday. So I did panic, slightly. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You're very lucky then. I just tried to book a Tesco slot and the first available is 26 November!

Reply to
The Other John

One local hardware store owner told us today that he would be open but only allowed to sell essential hardware. He would be allowed to sell electrical items related to distribution (back-boxes, sockets etc.) but his lighting department would be closed. The same with plumbing......

Reply to
alan_m

I purchased some petrol this morning and there was a fairly long queue outside of the associated supermarket 15 minutes before opening time.

Reply to
alan_m

I get a priority slot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Next door neighbour has said Sainsbury were out of toilet rolls.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I booked a slot Saturday morning for the middle of next week. There wasn't much choice left then but about normal. ie the 7-9 days from the current date are booked solid.

Just looked 3 flexi slots tommorrow (3rd), then nothing until 2 flexi late Sat 22nd. No 1hr slots until Sun 23rd (as far into the future as I can book), which is fairly empty. I guess that has only recently become available.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Supposedly supermarkets will be able to sell non-essential items,so I can't see why, if he's allowed to open because he sells some essential stuff, he shouldn't also be able to sell non-essential stuff too?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Cheat! Us mere mortals... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I filled up with diesel in March. On present predictions it will easily last the year out.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

theres clearly been a run on it......

and the staff now have nothing to go on.....

was it a BOGOF offer?

Reply to
No Name

I went to Buxton B & Q on Sunday. The bloke on the door was telling everybody they wouldn't be closing during the lockdown. Saved me asking him.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

You mean you younger mortals. ;-) I didn't actually seek it out. Wandsworth Council told me I was entitled to one.

Never got groceries delivered before Covid - and this talk of one hour slots make me jealous. Mine is between 1400-2200. And usually near 2200.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I did a bit of shopping in town today - no problems in any shop I needed. But outside three banks that I passed (Lloyds, Santander, Barclays) there was a long queue - about 50 metres long for Barclays. Is there a shortage of money or something? I thought most of us had stopped using the stuff anyway, given that card/contactless payment machines are nearly always available.

Reply to
Clive Page

Just got my order in for 15 five foot broomsticks from Toolstation.

Kudos for anyone who can work out why I need 15 broomsticks (not Halloween related).

Reply to
newshound

No queue at tesco petrol station just now, bog-roll piled high in the aisles, didn't see anyone buying it by the trolley load, flour looking a bit thin on the shelves but not all gone.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That was because the plaster and paint factories shut down for a few weeks when the first lockdown came in, it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction when the lockdown came in, as we were not prepared for it, and we expected anyone who got it was going to die. Things have calmed down now, measures are in place to distance workers where necessary, so the flow of building materials will not be affected like before.

To add to the backlog, the plant at West Leake broke down and took a couple more weeks before it could start production again. Dulux still have supply problems to this day, the local Trade counter have no 2.5/5/10 litre vinyl matt base colour in stock.

Reply to
Alan