DIY lockdown.

I have no idea how things are being implemented in England. BUT! In Wales, supermarkets were/are not allowed to sell non-essential goods. Two reasons: So they did not have an advantage over other shops, and to keep shop visiting at the lowest level consistent with getting essentials. Ensuring that there aren't many shoppers spending extra time choosing clothes, shades of paint, etc.

But paint has continued to be sold.

France seems to be going in broadly the same direction as Wales.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I think we're specifically *NOT* doing that ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Stout staffs for scouts

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I think you mean East Leake, a massive gypsum plant might stand out a bit in the little village of West Leake. ;-)

I have seen the plasterboard line in operation, and been down the mine, both of which were interesting trips.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Remember Northern Rock? Just how long before everybody twigs the financial consequences of the Great Panic.

Reply to
DJC

Big screws and dodgy walls?

Reply to
David

You can still work from mail order or online order whatever anyway. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The draft legislation says

PART 3

Businesses permitted to remain open

  1. Food retailers, including food markets, supermarkets, convenience stores and corner shops.
  2. Off licenses and licensed shops selling alcohol (including breweries).
  3. Pharmacies (including non-dispensing pharmacies) and chemists.
  4. Newsagents.
  5. Hardware stores.
  6. Building merchants, and building services.
  7. Petrol stations.
  8. Car repair and MOT services.
  9. Bicycle shops.
  10. Taxi or vehicle hire businesses.
  11. The following businesses? (a) banks; (b) building societies; (c) credit unions; (d) short term loan providers; (e) savings clubs; (f) cash points; (g) undertakings which by way of business operate currency exchange offices, transmit money (or any representation of money) by any means or cash cheques which are made payable to customers.
  12. Post offices.
  13. Funeral directors.
  14. Laundrettes and dry cleaners.
  15. Dental services, opticians, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths and other medical or health services, including services relating to mental health.
  16. Veterinary surgeons and pet shops.
  17. Agricultural supplies shop.
  18. Storage and distribution facilities, including delivery drop off or collection points, where the facilities are in the premises of a business included in this Part.
  19. Car parks.
  20. Public toilets.
  21. Garden centres.

There is no mention of restricting anywhere that can open to selling certain types of "essential" items

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think they will be better prepared this time round.

Reply to
bert