stuff diy

wish I hadn't started taking the old 50g cold tank and the old CH header tank out of the loft...what a mess ...pipe work and fittings will be a good source of spares though......had to cut the 50 g tank in half.....what a pain that was....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Yesterday I plastered in new socket boxes in the bedroom.

This morning I realised I'd forgotten to drill through for the spur to the hall.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

oh dear...it must be nice to have lodza money and get everything in the house and car done for you ....but then again where is the fun ......?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Ping out one of the rear cable entry points and drill through that. Easy.

Reply to
Scott M

I don't make mistakes because I'm perfect.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

and I bet you are a perfectionist as well .......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I wish I were!

Reply to
GB

It would be boring .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Drill a hole in one of the cutouts on the back of the box. Screw in a self tapper. Pull out the cutout. Drill hole through wall.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have that feeling after I decide the paint on a door was a bit rough so maybe it's be better stripping the door of paint.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Nah.

1.Use a small sharp screwdriver and a hammer. Gently tap the little bit of metal at one side of the knock out where it isn't perforated. When it's cut through lever the knock out out.

  1. Use a metal drill to drill a hole in the back of the box. Throw the metal drill away if it has been blunted by the masonry. Use a masonry drill to extend the hole through the wall.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I can drill a hole elsewhere, but the annoyance factor is I could have done the plastering in one go rather than two.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Hammering on a box set into plaster may not be the cleverest thing to do.

Eh?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine is still in the loft taking up room. its galvanised quite thick metal. How did they get it in in the first place? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I often wondered if they put them up and build the roof around them. Or maybe get them up through the gable end and then brick them in. However it was done, there was obviously no thought given to the fact that they might need to be replaced at some stage.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Rightly, as it turned out, because by the time they needed replacing no-one wanted large galvanised tanks. They preferred plastic ones or plastic liners, or solutions not involving a storage tank at all.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I had to cut mine in half with the scorpion saw to get it down the hatch.... ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

as the house gets built ...some tanks fold up....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

but they usualy fit between roof trusses but not when thy finish the hatch ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I said 'gently tap'. Use skill.

Half past three.