2-part wireless thermostat ?

Due to some brain dead design back in the 1960s, our thermostat (plus associated physical cabling) is in the worst possible position to actually monitor what the household temperature is.

So in reality, I need a thermostat elsewhere.

But due to the wiring being where it is, the actual "on/off" bit needs to be separate to the sensor/control.

Is there such a beast ?

Alternatively, how easy is it to fit the receiver on/off bit to my combi- boiler (a Vaillant 820) ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Dead easy. A few months ago I fitted a Salus wireless thermostat as recommended in this very ng. The receiver is next to the boiler in the former airing cupboard upstairs and the thermostat/transmitter is downstairs. You just put the original thermostat pair of wires into a connecting block in the receiver, pair the transmitter and receiver and off you go.

You may have to change the coding on the tx/rx pair as the default coding seemed to work intermittently. There might be another pair in one of my neighbours' houses using the same coding or maybe it's just all the RF smog in my house!

Reply to
The Other John

+1 for the Salus stat. Cheap, easy to fit and trouble free (although I haven't tested its range).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks - looks ideal.

I knew the "remote control thermostats" that Google threw up from Screwfix were ludicrously expensive :)

£30 at Amazon seems a lot better !
Reply to
Jethro_uk

I guess the "expensive" ones were programmable? That said though, a programmable thermostat might well pay for itself inside of a couple of years, depending on your heating usage. The one we fitted 4 years ago certainly has :)

Reply to
Lee

That's how my wireless thermostat works. The battery powered sender in in my front room. The receiver is in the old thermostat wired position in a hall-way.

It depends on how your existing thermostat is wired.

Manual for the model I have

many other manufactures

alan_m

Our system is Honeywell. The boiler is in the next room but one from the thermostat and behind an inglenook fireplace. Works fine.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That's the one I used several years ago to replace a Drayton which had failed. The first one was faulty - only ever displayed all segments of the LCD when the batteries were put in The second one worked well until we moved 5 years later. I seem to remember the only problem was getting the wireless connection set up properly between transmitter and receiver. The not-very-helpful manual referred to the DIP switches being "up" or "down", when the only movement was forward or back. Even then, they only worked when the receiver was in reverse to what was suggested!

Reply to
Jeff Layman