That walkie-talkie death ray ... a different perspective

The designers are just attempting to cover their arses - big time. When interviewed they claimed that they had modelled the effects of the sun and no problems were detected. The fault must be with the construction and the build up of tolerances

Surely if you design a concave mirror there must be a point of focus?

Reply to
alan

They used the global warming model to predict the sunlight falling on the building.

Reply to
alan

Yes, I heard that 'build-up of tolerances' crap. It doesn't say much for the manufacturing process, does it? They made a big mistake, end of story. Own up to it, fix it, and move on!

Reply to
Davey

En el artículo , Mike Tomlinson escribió:

Exactly as I predicted, this is the architect speaking today:

"When I first came to London years ago, it wasn't like this," he said. "Now you have all these sunny days. So you should blame this thing on global warming too, right?"

also:

"I knew this was going to happen," said Viñoly, "but there was a lack of tools or software that could be used to analyse the problem accurately."

Riiiight...

also regarding his hotel in Las Vegas with a similar problem:

"We pointed out that would be an issue too, but who cares if you fry somebody in Las Vegas, right?"

At least he has a sense of humour.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The account I read today said the developers had economised by omitting the sun shades that were in the original design.

Reply to
djc

"I've been paid, I don't give a toss now".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Friday 06 September 2013 18:29 djc wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Let the blamefest commence...

Reply to
Tim Watts