That walkie-talkie death ray ... a different perspective

"A commission headed by Lew Allen , director of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory , was established to determine how the error could have arisen. The Allen Commission found that the main null corrector , a testing device used to achieve a properly shaped non-spherical mirror, had been incorrectly assembled?one lens was out of position by 1.3 mm.^[60] During the initial grinding and polishing of the mirror, Perkin-Elmer analyzed its surface with two conventional null correctors. However, for the final manufacturing step (figuring ), they switched to a custom-built null corrector, designed explicitly to meet very strict tolerances. Ironically, this device was assembled incorrectly, resulting in an extremely precise (but wrong) shape for the mirror. There was one final opportunity to catch the error, since a few of the final tests needed to use conventional null correctors for various technical reasons. These tests correctly indicated spherical aberration . However, the company ignored these results, as it believed they were less accurate than the primary device which reported that the mirror was perfectly figured."

So they were well able to predict the lens. They simply didn't test it properly. Or rather they used faulty test equipment

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There was a guy on Radio 4 this afternoon, saying that all this stuff is modelled during design, but this wasn't. So who programmed the modelling computer, then?

Reply to
Davey

A climate scientist?

Reply to
dennis

It's not as though the architect hasn't already tried to shoot death rays from one of his buildings:

JGH

Reply to
jgh

Clearly - climate scientists are well known for predicting much less heating than will actually occur. :-)

#Paul

Reply to
news13k

You might just wonder where in the many people being involved in this project right up to the time of the incident why no one foresaw the possibility of that happening?....

An instance. Why wasn't it commented on here before it happened by the many who now say the designer was incompetent?...

Reply to
tony sayer

On Thursday 05 September 2013 09:04 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I think most people assumed he knew what he was doing and made alowances...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I wasn't aware the building existed until I saw the headlines

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

+1.

Ugly thing, of no merit whatsoever, like the Shard. Just architectural willy-waving, a competition to see who can design the biggest and ugliest building to compensate for their personal inadequacies.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Wasn;t there a thunderbirds episode where this sort of thing happened.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Did it melt them too?

Reply to
Davey

Don't, know, but I never found out why the entire control tower in Fireball XL5 had to rotate, and not just the radar head at the top.

Graham.

Designing one curved building and having "sun convergence" problems could, at a very long stretch, be an oversight. Designing another curved and having a similar problem is just incompetent.

Until the story broke I was completely unaware of the building or it's architect. Fenchurch St is a station on a Monopoly board...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Really odd seeing that without the snow and other artefacts of ancient

405 line TV. :-)
Reply to
polygonum

You should go to the Smoke more;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Don't know about XL5, but Anderson had all the Stingray and Thunderbirds footage restored using the wet-gate process.

This cleans up the scratches a treat but also introduces artifacts of its own, that ate more becoming to Stingray than Thunderbirds.

Reply to
Graham.

On this we are agreed. A quick back of the envelope calculation gives the focal point of any radius of curvature surface for parallel light. The answer is half the radius of curvature of the surface.

It is seriously careless to create such an effect on adjacent buildings or at street level. I presume they thought that 4% reflection from glass windows wouldn't amount to much so didn't bother doing the sums.

Or maybe the windows are clever ones with a much higher reflectivity. The uniform concave surface was just asking for trouble and if they were going to do it they needed to make sure the focus could never hit any physical targets on the ground or adjacent buildings.

I presume the designers can be held liable for rectifying this sort of crass monstrosity - it has happened before in other countries.

Bad example. As launched the HST was badly spherically abberated due to a manufacturing obsession with precision but incredibly precisely wrong.

I guess the Jag owners insurance claim form is going to look pretty strange - will he lose his no claims bonus over this? How do you make a claim for damage inflicted at a distance by a stationary building?

Reply to
Martin Brown

En el artículo , Martin Brown escribió:

I reckon they just thought, "oh, the sun doesn't shine in Britain so it won't matter"

I understood from reports that the building developers paid for the repairs.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

On Friday 06 September 2013 08:16 Martin Brown wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I think this one will go down in the annals of insurance mythos...

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Mike Tomlinson scribeth thus

Much nearer the mark!, prolly designed in the winter months ..

.. weeks of gloom seem endless...

Reply to
tony sayer