testing household elec items

A few people on local facebook trying to give to charity shops etc some elctrical goods, they are being refused due to items not being tested. Is the checking of household electrical items DIYable for a novice and what checks are required, as they are binning quite a few that they would prefer to pass on to someone but are slightly panicky now in case there are faults although items still work ok.
On 15/10/2018 18:08, ss wrote:

Not sure I'm afraid, but St Luke's local to me do PAT test, and will therefore take most things.
What they don't do, though, is check that they actually work
--
Cheers, Rob

On Monday, 15 October 2018 18:31:45 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

Isn't a functional test part of the inspection and testing procedure?
Owain
On 15/10/2018 20:34, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

If the item is a computer, are they going to test every function?
--
Max Demian

On Monday, 15 October 2018 22:47:25 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:

From an electrical point of view a computer just needs to be switched on to be considered fully functional.
Something like a food processor needs to be tested for safety interlocks etc working. This is not just for "PAT Testing" but also for product safety where the item is to be sold.
Owain
On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:10:33 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

And to be able to answer (truly) the inevitable question "Does it work?"
     snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes:

Interlocks and other safety features are part of a PAT test, as is suitability of the piece of equipment for the purpose it's being used (e.g. a hot air paint stripper with nothing wrong with it would be a fail if it was provided to dry hair) but a functional test isn't strictly part of a PAT test - the appliance doesn't actually need to work - it just needs to be safe.
Generally speaking, a functional test will require different tools/test equipment and more specific knowledge of the appliance.
--
Andrew Gabriel
I think its very complicated. If its a very complex device, say a set top box smart tv or computer, asll they can really do is prove it powers up and does something and is safe.. Brian
On 15/10/2018 20:34, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

I don't think so - I made a casual comment about what's to go wrong when I bought a hifi turntable recently, and he made the point that they don't test if they work, just that they're safe.
In the case of the turntable, the platter doesn't spin (idler wheel doesn't engage, not got round to looking at it yet) - so would have failed the most basic test! Don't have the heart to take it back.
--
Cheers, Rob

On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 18:08:18 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

I was looking at freegle and someone was offering an item that wasnlt working TV/monitor of similar and stated that it might just need a soldering iron to fix it. I'm not sure if free things need to be PAT tested. But one of the reasons we don't let people borrow equipemnt outside the lab is electrical safety evenm if they have been PAT tested.
     snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes:

No, but it often makes sense to do that too, depending on the reason for the test (e.g. periodic, or once off after repair or prior to putting on the market, etc).
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Monday, 15 October 2018 18:08:12 UTC+1, ss wrote:

no. Not unless you buy the equipment, do the course and are already familiar with basic electrical concepts. And tbh the courses seem often open to question.

PAT test

either give them to a charity that sells electrical goods, or pay to have them pat tested. It's not much.
NT

Portable Appliance Test test?
On 16/10/2018 18:18, mm0fmf wrote:

It's one of those odd ones. Just saying, "I need to do a PAT," sounds silly and "PA test" sounds like you're going to do a sound check.
SteveW
     snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

You need the two C&G 2377 certificates, which are specifically intended to be accessible to non-electricians (e.g. in most offices, you will find someone who knows ohms law, the difference between milliohms and megohms, and how to wire a plug, which is pretty much what's required as a prerequisite). The course and exam are usually taught over two days, one exam at the end of each day. Anyone in this newsgroup is likely to find it a doddle.
Secondly, you need a PAT tester and it will need periodic calibration.
Finally, you need insurance cover.
The last two items can be covered by the charity shop if they have enough throughput to justify doing electrical appliances, purchase a tester, and check with their insurer for cover, which shouldn't be a problem if the person doing the test has the C&G 2377 certificates.
I have put together some notes here for Repair Cafes (which is a similer use case): https://wiki.restarters.net/PAT_testing
I occasionally do PAT training for Repair Cafe volunteers. Unfortunately, my presentation material contains copyright information which I only got permission to use in my training sessions. The Restart Project was looking to get permission from the copyright holder to make it public, but I didn't hear any more about that so maybe they failed or didn't get around to it.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 18:08:09 +0100, ss wrote:

British Heart Foundation take electrical goods, at least down here in the Surrey/Sussex area.
HTH.
--
TOJ.

On 15/10/2018 18:08, ss wrote:

PAT testing: worth posting on FB if there is a local page, and asking around if you have any contacts in Rotary, U3A, British Legion, Lions, etc. I have a couple of mates who have the kit and qualifications, one because his wife used to have a shop, the other who has a small business. Both found it worth doing from the business viewpoint, and they are now happy to do it free for friends, family, and good causes.

Yes, but that won't satisfy the charity shops.
and

The standard PAT tests
as they are binning quite a few that they

On 15/10/2018 18:08, ss wrote:

Usually they need a proper PAT to be resold by the shop. Some have access to a tame tester, but many don't.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 15/10/2018 20:27, John Rumm wrote:

They have tried several places and they wouldnt take electrical goods, I think most are low income and wont be able to afford to pay for testing but just want to help others.