telephone problems

I have an ADSL adapter to which I have two extensions connected. One is a standard Binatone telephone and the other a digital master with one slave, both these phones work fine in their normal positions and when connected direct to the phone socket of the ADSL adapter. However I also had a BT Relate 3000 connected direct to the ADSL adapter, this stopped working, also it does not work on either extension socket, nor when connected to the ADSL adapter test socket. Thinking the phone was bust I purchased a new Geemarc CL1100, as I am hard of hearing and need a telephone with amplification, however this phone fails the same way as the BT Relate. The only way I can get it to work is by disconnected my router and plugging it into router socket on the ADSL adapter. All this makes no sense to me can anyone help please?

Reply to
Broadback

There are a few things in your post I am not clear about.

How are you plugging the phone into the router socket on the filter? In order to do that, you must have replaced the telephone line-cord with a different one with an RJ11 connector at both ends.

What happens if you use the correct line-cord and plug it directly into the master socket, router & filter disconnected?

Reply to
Graham.

Yes, I was rather tired when I posted, so here (I hope) is an easier to understand post. A standard basic telephone works fine when plugged into the test socket of the ADSL adapter or its telephone socket, and either of my 2 extension sockets, in other words as it should. My new Geemarc CL1100 (which is an amplifying phone) works in none of these. However it works (using a cord with an RJ11 connector) if plugged into the router socket of the ADSL adapter or into the socket of my 2700 router marked telephone line. I have of course tested the leads with the working phone.

Reply to
Broadback

Sounds like you've got a wrong BT to RJ11 cord. There are two standards. :-) The BT line on BT connector appears on pins 2 and 5, and on US RJ11 connectors on pins 3 and 4.

A British line on an RJ11 connector could be on either 2/5 or 3/4

Phone cords are *usually* straight-through, modem/ADSL cords are

*sometimes* crossover.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I agree totally. To the OP, is there any possibility that the line-cord with the BT plug isn't the one originally supplied with the phone?

Reply to
Graham.

I thought of that, I have used the same BT to RJ11 cord on both the phone that works and the phone that does not. It works ok on the standard phone. I have now found that if I plug a spare ADSL filter into any phone socket the new phone works fine when connected with the RJ11 to RJ11 cable. So to sum up the new phone seems to work with an RJ11 to RJ11 cable but not with any of several BT to RJ11 cables, which work fine on the other phone.

Reply to
Broadback

Thats fairly consistent with my experience, that there is no standard BT to RJ11.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks all for your help, it was indeed the BT to RJ11 cable. Though the Geemarc cable works fine on other phones other cables are not compatible with it. I had the cables mixed up, by judicious swopping I found the Geemarc cable and all is well. You live and learn, let's hope I remember it next time!

Reply to
Broadback

Label or mark it...

Reply to