I have an ADSL adapter to which I have two extensions connected. One is
a standard Binatone telephone and the other a digital master with one
slave, both these phones work fine in their normal positions and when
connected direct to the phone socket of the ADSL adapter. However I also
had a BT Relate 3000 connected direct to the ADSL adapter, this stopped
working, also it does not work on either extension socket, nor when
connected to the ADSL adapter test socket. Thinking the phone was bust I
purchased a new Geemarc CL1100, as I am hard of hearing and need a
telephone with amplification, however this phone fails the same way as
the BT Relate. The only way I can get it to work is by disconnected my
router and plugging it into router socket on the ADSL adapter. All this
makes no sense to me can anyone help please?
There are a few things in your post I am not clear about.
How are you plugging the phone into the router socket on the filter?
In order to do that, you must have replaced the telephone line-cord
with a different one with an RJ11 connector at both ends.
What happens if you use the correct line-cord and plug it directly
into the master socket, router & filter disconnected?
Yes, I was rather tired when I posted, so here (I hope) is an easier to
A standard basic telephone works fine when plugged into the test socket
of the ADSL adapter or its telephone socket, and either of my 2
extension sockets, in other words as it should. My new Geemarc CL1100
(which is an amplifying phone) works in none of these. However it works
(using a cord with an RJ11 connector) if plugged into the router socket
of the ADSL adapter or into the socket of my 2700 router marked
telephone line. I have of course tested the leads with the working phone.
Sounds like you've got a wrong BT to RJ11 cord. There are two standards.
:-) The BT line on BT connector appears on pins 2 and 5, and on US RJ11
connectors on pins 3 and 4.
A British line on an RJ11 connector could be on either 2/5 or 3/4
Phone cords are *usually* straight-through, modem/ADSL cords are
I thought of that, I have used the same BT to RJ11 cord on both the
phone that works and the phone that does not. It works ok on the
standard phone. I have now found that if I plug a spare ADSL filter into
any phone socket the new phone works fine when connected with the RJ11
to RJ11 cable. So to sum up the new phone seems to work with an RJ11 to
RJ11 cable but not with any of several BT to RJ11 cables, which work
fine on the other phone.
Thanks all for your help, it was indeed the BT to RJ11 cable. Though the
Geemarc cable works fine on other phones other cables are not compatible
with it. I had the cables mixed up, by judicious swopping I found the
Geemarc cable and all is well. You live and learn, let's hope I remember
it next time!
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.