Problem choosing line telephone. OT?

I have a hearing problem and need a new telephone to plug into BT. My current one (geemarc) has become noisy. Now I know what facilities I require, that is not a problem, however I have yet to find anywhere that you can try the phone out before purchasing. Can anyone suggest a solution, either a company that allow you to trial or where I can get "non sales" advice please?

Reply to
Broadback

which was the RNID is probably as unbiased as you will get. In their 'shop' section there are a number of phones, etc. I doubt you will find anyone who has a try before buy, however if you buy on line you have a right to return an item if it doesn't meet expectations, albeit you may have to pay for the return.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Just a quick check - you are sure it is the phone and not the line or house wiring?

Can you get someone else to bring in another phone to check the line, and plug your phone into their line?

It would be a shame to spend a lot of time searching out a new phone if the old phone isn't faulty.

Apologies if you have already checked this.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

To add to that, you really need to plug the other known good 'phone into the Test socket inside the BT Master socket.

They all give essentially the same information.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Davey

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions. I am sure it is the telephone, s I have a digital phone (1 mast 2 slaves) which I have tried in the same socket and it is fine.

Reply to
Broadback

Well most councils do have a Sensory Impairment team for hearing and sight loss, and they often have a few models of phone around that you can try out. I'm a bit worried about it being noisy though. Are you sure its not the line which is noisy? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

99% of phones becoming noisy are due to the leads, either the curly handset one or the main lead. Both are cheap & easily replaced.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr