Tea Stains on Mugs

Do you have the same attitude towards your underwear?

(tea stains are a surfac thing. Gentle scouring removes them. Soap is not required).

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A teapot

Loose tea is also far cheaper, and better quality, than bags

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What a kinky bloke talking about underwear here. If that's your fetish, then perhaps some other type of newsgroup may be of more interest to you?

My long departed parents used to warn me about chappies like you!

Well you and I cannot be drinking the same stuff - you must be drinking the old dishwater rather than decent tea if you can remove your tea stains simply by "gentle scouring".

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Chris,

We use Yorkshire tea here and we have the same problem, which drives SWMBO up the wall.

She gets rid of it by filling the cups (and teapot, much to my disgust) with boiling water and adds a teaspoonful or so of washing powder and then leaves them to soak for a couple of hours - a rinse and a hand-wash using washing-up liquid then sorts it out.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

In message , Cash

Reply to
geoff

In message , Cash

Reply to
geoff

That happens only if you put sand in with the dishes.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

How does a teapot prevent the tea from staining a mug? Drink the tea straight from the spout?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Same goes for women.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nah. I just know what manual labour means.

Gentle scouring = dont use angle grinder.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not grit blasted of course, but yes, glasses can get milky/misty white patches on them. Some of ours have, other not, so I presume it's down to the precise type of glass or something

Reply to
chris French

In message , Cash

Reply to
chris French

The opaque mess on glass is not the fault of the dishwasher, its from the water and shows that the user has not bothered adding salt to the salt dispenser inside the machine, or has it set to dose too little. All our crockery and glasses have been washed in a dishwasher for over 20 years. Not one glass from the best lead chrystal to the "free from filling station" is showing any damage.

Mugs do vary a lot, some of ours have a bit of staining, others stay white, all are machine washed. The cheap ones seem to do better, don't know why. We bring the mugs from the annex (which we let as a holiday appartment) over and run them through the dish washer every few weeks, this removes the stains that build up after several hand washes.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

In the building trade we used to clean tea stained mugs with cement powder and water. Any slightly abrasive powder will do. Wash out well after.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

All very well but if the stains the O.P. complained of are the result of using tea bags then they are of dye, not the tea. Tea bags are infused with a dye to make the piss they make more attractive looking. Thats what you see coming out of the bag as soon as the hot water hits it.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

Rubbish.

Reply to
Huge

Tea in the pot is hotter, and unmixed with milk. If you use a pot you'll get staining in the pot, but no noticeable buildup in the cups.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Wrong.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No fact. Shame you clipped the next part of my reply. Friends of ours had this problem we advised checking the salt, they did, there wasn't any, they filled it, the glasses returned to clear after a couple more washes. Fact.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Some of our go in every day, Still perfectly white.

Completely different problem.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q