Kitchen Worksurface.

My kitchen work surface is developing nasty yellow stains in places. Some are getting quite big and seem to be spreading at will!

The stains wont come off. I have tried bleach, multi surface cleaner, scrubbing, rubbing - all sorts. In fact I am rubbing the surface off before getting the stain out. it seems indelible.

I dont know what it is. At first I thought it was tea stains (!) but they seem to be spreading and are now in places which I do even use.

In fact every item I leave on the surface 9 cups, plates etc) seems to leave an un shiftable stain.

Anyone met a problem like this? Sort of removing the whole of the work surface and replacing it - any possible solutions? I dont really want to have to rip the kitchen apart right now.

Can I paint or resurface it somehow What might be best?

By the way , I ought to add it wasnt a *cheap* work surface , although it is about ten years old now.

TIA.

Reply to
mick

This is the only stuff I can think of that may help Mica:

is a proprietary melamine cleaner that is ideal for worktop surfaces, just remember to rinse it afterwards, and I know it works on scorch marks from a hot pot. One bottle will also lasts for ages.

Reply to
BigWallop

Hi I don't know what causes the staining but Barkeepers Friend is the thing that will get it out. It's a very fine abrasive that contains oxalic acid. It deep cleans and polishes at the same time (equally brilliant on rust stains or for polishing stainless steel sinks). Difficult to find in shops but available online at

Hope it helps.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Err, no it's not. Most hardware shops seem to stock it Dyas in particular for those in the sarf.

Reply to
Steve Firth