Taps

I'm in need of new bath taps so I trotted off to B&Q and bought a couple of tap 'inserts'. Is that the right term?

The outside diameter of the threads on my taps are approx 1 inch or 26.4mm measured with a vernier. The closest adapter with the B&Q inserts are approx

1.2 inch or 30mm.

I'm hoping someone here can tell me what I should ask for when I go to a real plumbers merchant.

Reply to
Periproct

There are at least 4 types of thread for older taps, probably more. The 2 std sizes are for 3/4" bath, and 1/2" sink taps.

The only way you can tell, is to open the packet and measure the thread diameter, or take the old one along with you.

Why are you buying just the inserts? Taps are really cheap now, a decent pair of bath taps is availble for £25 - 50 from Screwfix.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll take the vernier gauge with me next time.

I was going for inserts because I'm planning a complete redesign of the bathroom when I can fit it in and just wanted taps that don't have a mole wrench permanently attached to tide me over until then.

Reply to
Periproct

Don't not mean a fing to me. Do you mean complete new taps? Or a tap renovation kit?

a tap connector?
do you want to achieve?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah, tap renovation kit sounds more like it. Not sure where I got 'tap insert' from.

Just after a temporary fix for some seriously knackered taps to tide me over until I replace the whole bathroom. I had the same problem with my Mums sink taps. The vey helpful local plumbing shop couldn't match the thread but sold me new taps and even went as far as loaning me a basin wrench. I bent that before the taps were anywhere near coming loose. (Went back and paid for it of course). Anticipating the same sort of grief with my taps a renovation kit seemed like a good idea until such time as I get around to taking a lump hammer to my crusty old enamel bath.

I haven't a clue what threads taps used to come with and what they come with now but having had a further google 3/4 BSP sounds about right. I'll dig my pitch gauge out tomorrow.

Reply to
Periproct

just wanted taps that don't have a mole

Are you sure you cant fix them - strip and remove scale and grease the threads.

Reply to
John

That might be the way to go.

I've got an answer for everything. :-)

I'm seriously lacking any kind of stopcock or valve in this place so any long term fiddling means a drain down. Water pressure is low enough that I can swap tap innards without too much of a problem. What I really need is a new boiler and the whole place replumbed.

Reply to
Periproct

We call them spindles.

Reply to
F Murtz

Periproct has brought this to us :

Tap refurbishment kits. They come with a range of adaptors able to adapt them to fit many standard taps, providing the tap body is in good condition. Make sure you ask for the bath tap kits.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's knowing what size thread is the problem. Google makes me think 3/4" BSP.

Reply to
Periproct

The 'inlet' thread on bath taps is prolly 3/4" BSP. Are you saying that the adaptors that came with the kit are the wrong thread?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes. The larger adapter of the two that came with the tap measures 1.21" or

30.8mm. Just a bit larger than the 1" or 26.4 mm that I need. (Cheap digital vernier that's getting a bit cranky). I was wondering if taps have gone metric? The supplied adapter 1.21" thread is close-ish to 7/8 BSP but not very close to any coarse metric thread I can find on google.
Reply to
Periproct

So, cutting to the chase, the adaptors included in the renovation kit don't fit your taps?

In which case you are buggered. The taps must be so old. Have you tried contacting the kit manufacturer?

Looks like new taps to me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm confused. More googling and I've found a fair few plumbing suppliers who quote 1/2" and 3/4" BSP for taps. I've just dug a 3/4" BSP T piece out of the garage and my tap fits perfectly. So - it seems the standard is BSP, my taps are BSP so why on earth are B&Q selling something that isn't BSP. It would help if they gave some kind of a clue on the packaging. I'm off to a real plumbers merchants in the morning.

That trip to the garage cost me blood. Stood on one end of a 'soon to be fitted' tow bar and the other end flipped up and smacked me in the knee.

Reply to
Periproct

Hmmm. As they say on Dragons Den - I'm out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Me too. Tried the local plumbers merchant and they couldn't match them. I'll either get some cheap taps or take the plunge and have the new bathroom I've been promising myself.

Thanks for your advice though.

(Still love to know what the standard threads for taps are now and were just out of curiosity).

Reply to
Periproct

Hi Guys

Bit late on this but you either want BS1010 (old) a fine thread or slightly newer BS5412 a coarser thread - at least that was what was available when I was selling them, and no my name isn't Dribble or even Adam ;-) but it was a long time ago...

neil

Reply to
Neil

Ta for that. The plumbers merchant mentioned 1010 but I didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

Reply to
Periproct