Bath taps (part 2)

Malleable IIRC refers to a specific grade of cast iron, nothing more.

Alternatively, you can cut the pipe considerably shorter, and insert a flexible pipe connector.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The following problems present themselves. A) The basin wrench I have is too narrow for the nuts. It is, of course, a bog standard one from B & Q. Is it "malleable", as the Screwfix website suggests?

B) the new taps (or tap unit, should I say) appears to be about half an inch shorter than the old ones. Is there such a thing as a half inch extender for one inch taps?

C) Should the extension - whatever it is - be longer than half an inch, I'll need to shorten the pipes. I guess I'd have to cut the pipe, shorten the top bit and insert a compression joint pipe connector.

Given all the above, should I just GSETDI?

(Get Someone Else To Do It).

Reply to
Mary Pegg

And a service valve, if there isn't one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks for clearing that up.

That's an idea.

Reply to
Mary Pegg

1/2" extension on 22mm pipe is readily obtained by cutting pipe and using a 22mm coupler.

The flexible route is however the way I would go unless the supply pressure/flow is dire.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

It's just convenient. And an easy way to join the pipe!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Given how much servicing I (intend to) do, I'm not that fussed about having to turn off the whole house rather than just one tap. Or is there something else to it?

Reply to
Mary Pegg